It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: General work rants
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:09 pm 

Oh, open office, how you simultaneously entertain and annoy... and anyone who thinks "men aren't chatty like women", I invite you to my office to disabuse you of that notion.

Today's snippets:

Convo 1:
Man 1: "Oscar, because he had that dope trashcan..." (don't know why Sesame Street comes up often :? )
Man 2: "But didn't the Count have a mansion or something?"
Man 3: "Yeah, where did he live?"

Convo 2:
Man 1: "No, I don't wash my gym clothes every night. They're not going to smell any worse."
Woman 1: "Yeah, I'm bad about that myself."
Gay Man: "I just spray a shitload of Febreeze in my gym bag, and it makes my clothes smell good. I don't have time for laundry 24/7."

Convo 3:
Woman 1: "I dunno - his body is seriously the truth, but his face is just 'eh'. Like, seriously, pass."
[Simultaneously]
Woman 2: "What? Girl, puh-leeze, you are crazy. His face is fine, and what about his voice?! He could read a Chinese take-out menu, and I'd listen."
Gay Man: "OHMYGODshutyourdamnmouth - No! That's who we're talking about." (Leans forward and shows phone to Straight Man across fake cubicle wall)
Straight Man: (laughing) "Oh my, OK, yeah... I can tell that guy would be considered hot. His hair's a bit different than what I thought women liked, but, yeah, he's hot."
Gay Man: "See, you are wrong, and what is with 'His face is 'just nope'' anyway?"
Straight Man: "Yeah, what's wrong with you? (laughing) No, seriously, I am not gay, but he is quite a knicker-dropper."

I assume they were talking about Benedict Cumberbatch, and it was time for the headphones.

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."- Victor J. Stenger

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:17 pm 

^^^ His face is weird, though, gurl! Like Stewie from Family Guy, but all growed up! Dayum!

:)

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 am 

I honestly don't know who they were talking about. It started out as Trump and budget cuts, and that led to cuts to arts and humanities funding. That led to Sesame Street and PBS children's programming, which led to PBS in general. That led to other PBS shows, and the discussion of whether or not whoever they were discussing is hot or not. I just assumed it was Benedict Cumberbatch because PBS shows are often BBC imports, he is British, and he doesn't have the greatest face IMO. It was like listening to parakeets in a cage, so I might be wrong about the object of their discussion :lol:

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."- Victor J. Stenger

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 am 

CFinNY wrote:
Now i shall have an extra-tall cube with some bunk door.

You're lucky. Our open office is actually OPEN. No cubes at all, all just big long tables and 3-pods with computer monitors on them and nobody has an assigned space. Nobody has even the remotest amount of privacy and you have to assume that somebody's able to look at your screen any time they want to. Supposedly they want people to move around from day to day and never sit in the same place twice, but in reality, most of us have a favorite space and tend to sit there every day. But even so, we can't leave anything on our desks overnight, everything has to be locked in your locker when you leave and taken back out the next day. You have to sign into the phone each morning so they know where you are.

The only advantages are that now I have two large monitors (and since a lot of my work involves looking up things in a system and typing them into a spreadsheet, it's SUPER useful to have dual monitors) and the desk are adjustable for sitting or standing. But the noise factor is TERRIBLE. I dread when certain people come and sit near me because they're so freaking loud. I take all my conference calls in a call room or a mini-conference room because I don't want my team or my clients to hear all the background noise. Ugh.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:36 am 

On open offices...just talked to a friend in another state. They configured his workspace to open office.

After two days, he marched into HR, pulled out his prescription for ADHD meds, said the open office plan was unworkable considering his disability, and strongly hinted at an Americans With Disabilities Act lawsuit if something wasn't worked out.

Now he's back in his old office (which was vacant, go figure). I told him, "You think you're a hero for the workers, but everyone else is going to hate you."

I can't wait to see if there's suddenly an outbreak of ADHD cases in that office.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 am 

^ Yeah, my fiancé has ADD and when I describe my office environment to him, he physically shudders. For him to be productive at work, he has to be able to get into a zone of "hyper-focus", which is nearly impossible in this environment. Tuning distractions out is something he's just not capable of.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am 

^^^ For him, the main issue was they placed him with his back to the door, and the activity of people coming and going was distracting him, but the big thing is that he was hyper-paranoid about the elevator opening and not knowing who was approaching him from the back, so all day, he'd sit half-turned around, watching the elevator.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 pm 

Open office really isn't that terrible for me. Really entertaining conversations will snag my attention, but sports talk, chattiness about children, banal "small talk" - I can easily tune it out. If I'm engrossed in something, you could set my trash bin on fire and I wouldn't notice until the fire department was hosing my cube down. The worst is the phone. My phone makes it sound like the person ringing me is doing so from the space station. It's already hard to hear someone speaking through the receiver, and background noise only makes it harder. If I pop it on speaker phone, well then my caller gets treated to a background discussion about what's the best type of underwear, a/k/a "Why are boxer shorts even a thing for other than sleeping?" So the phone's the tricky part with this open office deal. If I have to, I can tune things out, but when I'm borderline bored my mind and ears wander.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 pm 

One of my cats vomited all over the billing I have to hand in tonight.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 am 

^^^ Ewwwwww! I hope you were able to reprint it or something.

-- Oscar Wilde

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 840 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84  Next