It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85
 Post subject: Re: General work rants
Unread postPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:05 am 

Well, generally the new job has been great. However, something has come up that I'm not so happy about. They are doing a reorganization and merged us with some other departments and brought in some efficiency expert above our boss. What can I say, I don't like the guy.

He mentioned he was going to give us production targets in early April. But he didn't actually let us know what they were until the month was more than half through. Mine was based on what I did in March, but there were various reasons that my number was really high that month and not likely to be able to repeated. He never had any conversation about us before setting the numbers, he just emailed them to us.

April had 2 holidays and we were in training two days, so we really only had 16 work days with all that. Plus, I spent several days cleaning up time-consuming messes my predecessor left before I was informed of the target. We use slack to communicate and the last few days of the month, he kept sending these "friendly reminders" about how some people were behind. A woman that started in March, poor thing, was really freaking out. I made it by the skin of my teeth, since the day before the end of the month, my boss asked me to take on more of those messes that take up a lot of time.

The other day we were in a meeting, I was skyped in from home. So, Mr. efficiency comes into the room to bitch about some people not making their targets and if it happens this month, there will be consequences. A the end, our boss asked if anyone had questions and people asked what he meant by consequences. They said they hadn't felt comfortable asking him directly. (I feel the same way.) Our boss brings him back in and he says that if people don't make the target then he will have to consider if they are the right fit for the job. He is so smarmy, in his sweater vests, always dancing around the issue. Say what you mean, you risk being fired for not meeting the numbers.

I am actually not so worried about May. I counted and there are 22 work days, which is a lot more than 16, clearly. I am on pace to beat my minimum goal so far and there are no more of those old messes to deal with. Still, I think the guy is handling it horribly. People feel like they can't voice their opinions and the atmosphere is one of concern.

Dwarf man is always doing the bare minimum anyways, our boss has talked to him about how he needs to review everything before he submits things to to editors. He just writes one google translate sentence and thinks it's an update. But, if it slips by and gets counted as such, he'll have better statistics than people that actually do a thorough update. I have heard rumors that he may be gone soon, hopefully since he gives me the creeps. He's still in his probationary period and has called in sick several times, shows up late and doesn't seem to listen to our boss. After 3 months he would get an indefinite contract and it is harder to let him go. Now they don't need any reason. Also, my boss keeps giving me work related to his countries, like she doesn't trust him to do a decent job. Better for me, it keeps my statistics up and makes me look good! We share the infrastructure sector (divided by countries), so, every time he doesn't show up, I end up having to cover for some of his things. Again, good for my stats, but it's not really fair

Unread postPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:49 am 

Doesn't look like this efficiency expert is a right fit for his job as if he just issues edicts and not so veiled threats without first analyzing all the variables as to the obtainability of his goals.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 am 

^^ Yeah, I really feel like he has no understanding of research/editorial work, so he doesn't seem to realize that some things take a lot longer to investigate than others. One update could take 30 minutes while another could take hours, but for the statistics they're counted the same.

Also, he hasn't given us any actual tools to help us do our work more efficiently, which is what he was supposedly hired to do. His only tactic seems to be threats. All it seems like he has done so far was to spend the last month devising some system that determines what projects we update, but that means we are just updating different things, the process hasn't changed, so it's not more efficent.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 am 

Wow, I don't even work there and I already hate this guy. Nothing like someone whose job is to nitpick.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 am 

^^ I don't think anyone really likes him. One co-worker goes to lunch with him, but probably to make sure he stays on his good side. I get the feeling he was beat up a lot as a kid.

At least I get along fine with my direct boss and my co-workers except for the worthess dwarf, and I am working from home so I can avoid a lot of the office drama. I'm just going to keep my head down and focus on doing my work. Hopefully he won't be around forever. I need this job. It took me a while to get it and then to stick it out to get a real work contract. Plus, the economy here is still not in good shape. I know people that have been laid off and searching for work for months with no luck.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 pm 

Yuck, I am skyping in on a training for our new content management intranet that the efficiency manager is leading. He wasn't so involved in designing it; it was started long before his time. Still, it is painful. He is awful speaking to a group, completely disorganized. And, the way he talks, just reinforces how little he understands our work.

The old intranet is buggy and slow, but the new one seems to make more work out of some things rather than helping us. Plus, I am sure there are a lot of bugs that will need to be ironed out, so that is going to affect meeting our statistics goals.

And now there's going to be some other metric we have to meet with the new system. It depends on how much the editors send stuff back to us, but sometimes the editors' question are really dumb! One woman is so dense, I have to explain things to her 3-4 times. It doesn't seem fair that my work could be negatively rated due to something like that.

Why did this have to happen? I really hate this guy!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:41 pm 

Sounds like he's dense, the people he chooses to keep closest to him are dense, so he assumes you too are dense.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 am 

Wow, a co-worker that works from the office just messaged me and said he quit! From someone who was in on meetings with him and the CFO I guess there was a lot of friction there. Now I guess we will see what happens next.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 am 

more surprises, dwarf also quit. Actually I'm not sure how much of surprise that was, since he had a terrible attitude from day one. I imagine those days he was supposedly out sick he was actually interviewing. The good thing is that they created a new junior researcher position recently and the guy is sort of a floater between sectors, helping out where needed. So, he is going to pick up some of dwarf's slack for now.

On top of that the most annoying aspects of the new intranet have been rolled back. Apparently our boss hated them too.

I guess this is not a rant, since things are looking up :D .

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:42 pm 

I'm currently in the office, hiding out with my laptop in a small, rarely-used conference room.

Why? Because we have a nimrod at work who sends an email with a request, then immediately IMs to say, "I just sent you an email," and then immediately pops up at your desk to say, "I just emailed and IMd you about so-and-so," then he stands there while you read it and waits for answer.

When he did that (again) this morning, my response was, "I'll look at this later, I'm booked right now."

Coming back from the breakroom, I caught him hovering around my desk, so I dodged into my cube as soon as he walked off, and now I'm hunkered down, remoted into my desktop.

If he sends me another IM, I'm going to tell him to come on over, then watch him get to my empty cube, and then when he asks, I'll say, "Sorry, I must have just missed you!" :evil:

-- Oscar Wilde

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85