It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 am 

I was recently informed that there was an opening in the press department of our company, and my boss said if we wanted to apply, we were free to. I gave it some thought, and talked it over with my husband, and I am thinking it's not the right thing to do. At the same time, I sort of feel like that makes me not ambitious enough.

It would be more money, and the press jobs are kind of seen as more prestigious than the research side where I am now. But, I don't know. First of all, it is a different sector. I work mainly with infrastructure and water projects now, this would be oil and gas and electric energy. So, I would have to not only learn the mechanics of the job, I'd have to learn about two new sectors. Plus, everyone says oil and gas is boring. The guy in my department that deals with oil and gas didn't even apply for the job, because he doesn't like it. There are also daily deadlines, not monthly like I have now, which makes it seem higher stress to me.

I guess I just think the timing is off. I went through so much turmoil work-wise between being unemployed/underemployed that last awful job, and then that whole fiasco with the efficiency expert here, I finally feel like I have my footing. I've only been in the job as a permanent employee 8 months, so it seems kind of soon. If it were next year and in the sector I work with I'd seriously consider applying.

At least it sounds like there is the opportunity to apply for jobs in other departments when there are openings, and there are likely to be other chances in the future.

Has anyone else made a similar decision?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:36 am 

In fact, I made a strikingly similar decision last year.

I was offered a job (after several interviews) with the press division of a company that buys/regulates alternative energy sources. Right now, I work as an editor at a newspaper, so it would've been very different -- yes, extremely boring compared to the myriad of topics I get to deal with now on a daily basis. The new job would have been more money, a far better commute, nicer facility -- basically everything you're looking for in a new job.

But I weighed it against my current job, and the pros are, I'm comfortable here, I know how to do everything so it's not stressful, it's fun and interesting (both to me and to other people who are fascinated with my job, presumably because their jobs are boring), and I'm essentially autonomous (i.e. I don't often have to work with a team). So I decided to stay put.

I don't know if it's the right decision for you, but it was for me. I'd been having panic attacks about that decision, but once I made it, I felt better IMMEDiately. Then, earlier this year, my friend -- who works at the company who gave me the job offer -- quit her job and told me there's a mass exodus there due to a "toxic work environment." Apparently after I turned down the job, they could never get anyone else to take it, either. So I know I made the right choice.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am 

Thanks for your quick reply, Den. It's especially interesting since we seem to work in similar fields.

When at first I heard about the opening, I was feeling like I SHOULD want to apply, I mean most people probably would. But, thinking of doing so started to make me feel very anxious, no panic attacks, but close. When I addressed why I was feeling this way and also talked to my husband I realized my gut was telling me it's not the right situation at this time.

There is another factor, which is we absolutely need to move from where we are living and buy a house. Although we've had a down payment for a while, with house prices where they are and my unstable income, it wasn't really possible to apply for a mortgage. However, once I have a year in this job, my income will count, plus I am saving a lot of my income towards increasing the down payment, closing costs, etc. So, I had the feeling like what if I were offered the job and it didn't work out, I didn't catch on fast enough, for example. I probably wouldn't be able to go back to my old job and I'd be back to square one looking for another position, waiting a year after that. I felt like that would be taking a risk.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:40 pm 

I'll gladly say that I'm definitely not that ambitious, as far as career moves go. I've turned down more responsibility/more pay more times than I can remember, because I've seen what it does to my managers (high stress, no outside life).

I managed people (and my own shop) when I was in the military, and I didn't like it then, and that taught me early on that me and manager don't go together.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 am 

I'm with Den and CO - I've also turned down many opportunities on the more pay/more responsibility track. In fact, so many that there are managers here (who've never worked with me) who assume I'm not too bright because I'm the age I am and at the level I am. But I see how the higher you get up in the company, the less outside life you're allowed to have. Like I wouldn't DREAM of taking my work laptop on vacation, but pretty much all the managers do and they check in at least once, often multiple times a day. That's not a vacation to me. Not interested.

On the other hand, I took a completely new position a year ago and it was the smartest move I ever made. I'm busier at work than ever, but it's way more interesting and fulfilling than what I did before and they actually seem to respect and value my contributions for once.

There are no easy answers, you just have to do what feels right for you and don't let what you think somebody else thinks you "should" do into your decision process.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:22 pm 

I recently (well I guess it's been a year now, wow) got a promotion at my current job. It was the second time I had applied and thought it went terribly but I got it. It's still part time and th epay is not great but I enjoy it and was pleased with myself for getting it. Shortly (within a few weeks) a full time quite similar position opened up. Everyone (my boss, co workers and other people I had previously worked for) told me to go for it...and I didn't. It just felt weird? Like I hadn't quite gotten my sea legs doing my current job not to mention I would have felt terrible leaving my boss in a lurch. I lacked confidence and I enjoy where I am. So in short, yes I made exactly the same choice as you and am happy with it. I agree that there will always be more jobs in the future. It seems like it wasn't right for you at the time just as it wasn't for me. Bit long but I hope you can see how well I relate!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 am 

Thanks all for your responses!

I definitely wouldn't want my boss's job, for example, she has to deal with all the HR stuff, training people, etc. She goes in early and leaves late. I actually was begged to take a promotion at a job many years ago, where I was doing a lot of that sort of stuff, also in an editorial environment. I took it, but honestly, I preferred just having my work assignments and not having to supervise everyone else. Right now I just have my assigned work to worry about, and it would be similar if I were offered a press department job, but the workflow is different and seems somewhat more intense, since you have to write a certain amount of articles daily.

We had a team meeting last week and our boss said that the company encourages employees to apply for in-company transfers/promotions when the opportunity arises, and that some preference is given since it tends to be easier to train people that already have experience in the company. She said just let her know if we plan to do so.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:55 am 

I realized another reason it was good not to have applied for the other job. I have enough seniority these days that my boss pretty much leaves me alone.

We've had some turnover lately. The department's Portuguese contingent moved back to Portugal since the economy there is improving and another woman left to take a teaching job, which is what she really wants to do. So, there are new people that she needs to be supervising closely. With all that going on, she seems to be happy she doesn't have to worry about my work.

Recently our editor asked me a question about a project. I asked her what did our boss say, and she said that our boss told her it was my call. Also, next week I am taking a few days off and our team meeting is during that time. My boss said don't worry about it, she didn't see the need to reschedule for a time when I can attend, she'd just send me the presentation. In the meetings we mainly cover things like style points and issues to watch out for, that are more important to the new people.

After being micromanaged at my last job (despite promises of autnonomy) and suffering those twice a week 3-hour meetings it is nice to not have a boss breathing down my neck. If I had been offered the other position, I am sure I would, understandably, be back where my work was scrutinized more closely.

I also think, how great it is to be childfree and to be able to have more of a choice if I want more responsibility or not at work. If I had kids, I am sure I would feel a lot more pressure to apply for the job because we would need the money more.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:56 pm 

I'm not massively ambitious either

Thing is, it's diminishing returns a lot of the time
Past a certain salary, the demands are too high
Plus, I don't need the extra money or an excuse to stay late in the office on account of being childfree :lol: