It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm 

I am mostly interested in the history of the former Soviet Union countries, the Middle East and the Balkans, particularly in the 1900s. I am also interested in cultural and linguistic history, and I also enjoy alternate history video games such as the Assassin's Creed or Civilization series.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm 

***waves hand frantically in the air***

Me! Me! I was 6-7-8-9-10 years old during the American Civil War centennial, and the larger-than-life stories that came from that just sucked me in. I have immersed myself in just about any sort of Western Civilization history for over 50 years. Classical Rome? Yup. The mystery of "King" Arthur? You bet. 1066? Right there. Tudor England? I'm on it. All the way up to the New Deal and WWII. Currently on my nightstand is a bio of Frances Perkins (Secy of Labor under FDR and 1st woman in a cabinet) and on deck is one about the American industrialization for WWII. Lately I've gotten to the point where I know many of the stories that interest me, now I want to see what these stories looked like through the eyes of someone who was actually there.

I have an idea for an alternative history; alas I am not the one to write it. If any of you who are good with fiction want the concept, you are welcome to it. What if........FDR is killed outright by his polio in 1921? What then happens in 1932 and beyond? Can you bring the western democracies to a happy ending ca. mid-1940s without him? If you want to dip your toe into that world, I can recommend The Crisis of the Old Order by Arthur Schlesinger Jr. Here is a good tale of how the election of 1932 really played out--then try to imagine it without FDR.

"I've been to Europe once and I intend to go back many times, and no screaming, crying urchin is going deny me that."--My CF sister to my mother after being bingoed about having kids shortly after she got married

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:48 pm 

I despise history. This is mostly because of the way I was taught history. "Here's a list of names, dates, and places. Memorize them for the test." It wasn't until I got to my senior year of high school when I actually got to take a history class that addressed the WHY. WHY did people dump a bunch of tea into Boston Harbor? WHY did a group of men get together to sign the Declaration of Independence? WHY did Julius Caesar take over the Roman Republic and turn it into the Roman Empire? IMO, American schools do their students a major disservice by teaching the who, what, when, and where, while ignoring the WHY.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:18 am 

^^^^^Long ago and far away, I was certified to teach history, and yeah, someone who teaches like that should be boiled alive in a giant pot of names, dates, and places. A tiny handful of them really are important and should bring a Pavlovian response from any educated person, but beyond that its all people and their relationships to each other and the world. A few years ago, David McCullough gave a wonderful talk to a congressional committee on how often history is almost criminally mistaught.

"I've been to Europe once and I intend to go back many times, and no screaming, crying urchin is going deny me that."--My CF sister to my mother after being bingoed about having kids shortly after she got married

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:23 am 

I got my BA in History (yes, it's a useless major for me) and am especially interested in the Middle Ages and Renaissance periods. I usually read biographies instead of general history books. My favorites are Henry VIII and his wives, Mary I, Jane Grey, and Edward VI. I'm not a big fan of Elizabeth I. I just find her annoying and overrated. I also love reading about Marie Antoinette.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm 

History became a whole lot more relevant and interesting to me when I started to travel. When you're standing in the ruins of the Roman Forum and realize those ruts under your feet were made by chariots a couple of thousand years ago - yeah, that's pretty cool. And ancient sites that would otherwise look like a bunch of old rocks become much more interesting when you have a backstory to place them in.

When I was a kid, I would have rather had an eye plucked out than been dragged to a museum. Now I absolutely love them.

My fave time periods are ancient Greek/Egyptian/Roman, and WWII, especially involving Japan. I'm heading to Japan in Sept and looking forward to learning more.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:04 pm 

Pikasam, I am thinking about going to Japan next summer. I haven't made up my mind yet. I love reading historical fiction set in Japan. Shogun was one of my favorite stories many moons ago.