It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm 

I am mostly interested in the history of the former Soviet Union countries, the Middle East and the Balkans, particularly in the 1900s. I am also interested in cultural and linguistic history, and I also enjoy alternate history video games such as the Assassin's Creed or Civilization series.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:29 pm 

***waves hand frantically in the air***

Me! Me! I was 6-7-8-9-10 years old during the American Civil War centennial, and the larger-than-life stories that came from that just sucked me in. I have immersed myself in just about any sort of Western Civilization history for over 50 years. Classical Rome? Yup. The mystery of "King" Arthur? You bet. 1066? Right there. Tudor England? I'm on it. All the way up to the New Deal and WWII. Currently on my nightstand is a bio of Frances Perkins (Secy of Labor under FDR and 1st woman in a cabinet) and on deck is one about the American industrialization for WWII. Lately I've gotten to the point where I know many of the stories that interest me, now I want to see what these stories looked like through the eyes of someone who was actually there.

I have an idea for an alternative history; alas I am not the one to write it. If any of you who are good with fiction want the concept, you are welcome to it. What if........FDR is killed outright by his polio in 1921? What then happens in 1932 and beyond? Can you bring the western democracies to a happy ending ca. mid-1940s without him? If you want to dip your toe into that world, I can recommend The Crisis of the Old Order by Arthur Schlesinger Jr. Here is a good tale of how the election of 1932 really played out--then try to imagine it without FDR.

"I've been to Europe once and I intend to go back many times, and no screaming, crying urchin is going deny me that."--My CF sister to my mother after being bingoed about having kids shortly after she got married