It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Scary Stories
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:35 pm 

So with Halloween coming up, I thought I'd share two stories about times I had the bejeezus scared out of me.

My parents have a farm with an old farmhouse, barn and assorted out-buildings. It's really old and the house is one of those semi-Victorian farmhouses. The third floor was attic space but it was finished so my parents put a TV room up there. There were all these spooky little closet-like storage rooms off the main area, and one was a long space that ran down one side of the house. I hated those things and never went in them unless expressly ordered to retrieve something from them. I'm up there watching TV one night and it's just me and our yellow lab, Spaetzle. Spaetzle aspired to inertia, so he was snoozing on the floor as he always did. All of a sudden he lifts his head up and quietly barks. He sat there staring down the TV room at nothing I could see. He tilted his head to the side, got up, walked down the TV room a bit and sat down. He was sitting there like he was looking at something. I figured he must have heard a mouse or something, but when he whined like he wanted something from the thin air, I took off. I turned off the TV, ran out of the room and flew down the stairs. Spaetzle ran after me and was acting perfectly normal, like nothing happened. I never had anything else bizarre happen in the house, but I never watched TV in that room after dark or at home alone ever again.

The next scary incident happened in the barn. It was a cold October evening and it was windy. My cousin and I were in the barn getting hay to put out in the pastures. I was standing in the feed room and my cousin was going to go upstairs to the hayloft and push the bales down the hay drop so I could put them in the wheelbarrow. The hayloft light is a pull chain that's about 10 feet away from the top of the staircase, so the hayloft is totally dark except for the moonlight coming in through the doors at the end. My cousin starts walking up the stairs and I hear his footsteps echoing, but with a deeper sound it seems like thunk-THUNK. He stops about 10 steps up and says "Do you hear that?". I say "It's just an echo - it's a big mostly empty hayloft." He continues up the stairs maybe 8 or 10 more steps and then he comes thundering down them, runs past me and out into the barn aisle. I go after him and he says "There's something up there - it was walking." He is white & his eyes are like saucers. I said "I think it's just your footsteps echoing." Then he says "No, no, no way - I stopped going up the stairs and still heard footsteps - then I ran down". So we're standing there in the brightly lit barn with only the sounds of the horses until we hear "thunk, THUNK" up above us. I took off. I didn't even say anything - I just ran in the direction of the house. I hear him yelling "WAIT! WAAAAAAIT FOR MEEEE!". We run all the way back to the house and my mom was not amused. She thought we had made the story up to get out of hay and turnout duty, but we refused to go back to the barn. She went back to the barn with us, and of course nothing odd happens. Nothing strange has ever happened to me out there again, but I have not been into that hayloft after dark if the light isn't already on. My mom has an employee that refuses to also, but she says she feels like she's being watched from the dark recesses of the loft when she gets to the top and has to walk to the light chain.

So those are my spooky stories for Halloween :D

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."- Victor J. Stenger

Post subject: Re: Scary Stories
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 am 

Here's a small one:

My dad worked for a soft drinks company, so we always had plenty of pop in the house, and that meant plenty of empties that he'd return to the company, after collecting several cases.

I was about 10. I'd fallen asleep on the couch, on a Friday or Saturday night, watching TV. Suddenly, I was awoken by the sound of all the empty bottles tinkling together, almost like a wind chime sound. When I woke up, I was inexplicably covered in sweat, and there was a great storm outside, just like a Poe story. The wind was gusting and rattling the windows, then it would die down to complete silence, then roar in again.

I tried to pass off the noisy bottles as the wind shaking the house, and in turn shaking the bottles, but as I fell back into a fitful sleep, that just didn't seem reasonable.

I woke up again, again sweaty and nervous and disoriented. I crept into the kitchen and stared at the bottles for a few minutes. Nothing. I listened to the storm, and waited for a particularly severe part to bother the house...nothing.

I touched the bottles and found it needed considerable force to get them to sound off like I'd been hearing. I began to imagine someone in the house purposely taunting me by shaking the bottles once I'd turn in again, so I checked through the closest. Nothing.

Back to sleep. More bottle rattling in short order. At that point, I'd moved beyond someone hiding in the closet to something materializing out of the air, like a demon or ghost, baiting me to the other side and beyond.

I was so irrational at that point that I was afraid to move off the couch and go to my room (in a windowless basement, no less), so for the remainder of the night, I stayed on the couch and stayed awake as much as possible.

I was never able to explain...THE NIGHT OF THE TINKLING BOTTLES!!!!!

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 am 

Hmmm interesting stories....I've only got one and it's feeble in comparison. Anyhoo...

About 15 years ago I worked as the HR manager in a Marriott Hotel in the northwest of England. This place had been a manor house and been a 4* hotel for a lot of years prior to the aquisition and rebranding by Marriott. There were plenty of stories about 'The Grey Lady' who supposedly haunted (benignly) the place, to be seen in the early evening in the bedroom corridors. I was there for about a year and didn't see her, but some of my colleagues claimed they had....

However one warm summers evening at about 8pm I was walking down a service corridor that linked two public area/bedroom corridors on the 1st floor (i.e. a UK 'first floor' not the ground floor). This corridor was used as a storage facility for the HR archives and general bits and bobs that the hotel staff would need on a frequent basis, so the corridor was well used. It had a number of skylights in it, the the evening sun coming through made it bright, light and warm.

I was about 2/3 the way down when I hit a cold spot, it wasn't drafty, there was no air con in the corridor, the skylights weren't open. But the spot was cold enough for me to see my breath and feel the shock of the cold. I stepped out of it, back into the warm air, thought 'that's odd' so stepped back and experienced the same thing again. I wasn't frightened I was just curious. I stepped backwards and forwards for about 15 minutes and figured that this cold spot was about a metre square.

After having done the hokey cokey for about 20 minutes and getting the same result with no explanation I could fathom (the corridor wasn't over the kitchens or the bar/cellar) I gave up and carried on to my office. I left the hotel about an hour later, it was getting dusk, and walked back through the service corridor to leave the building...this time no cold spot.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 am 

There's an old block and tackle pulley thing off one end of the hayloft. With it being windy we thought that was possibly the source of the mysterious footsteps. But of course when my mom dragged both of us back to the barn not twenty minutes later we didn't hear anything. And I cannot explain the dog staring at nothing. He never did that again, so it was rather inexplicable.

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."- Victor J. Stenger

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:22 pm 

I totally believe in the paranormal. That said, I think mice/rats do explain a lot. I have one now and the dogs and cat are able to hear it in the walls when I can't and they will sit and stare and cock their heads.

Anyway, that accounts for some things, but...

I saw an actual full-bodied ghost when I was in my teens. I never felt comfortable at night in my room. We were on an acreage, with only one neighbor close enough you might hear anything. At night, I sometimes heard a cacaphony of tiny voices. I was into animal behavior even then and decided when it was dark and still, my ears were better and I was hearing the cumulation of voices from up the hill or something like that.

I often felt watched from the foot of the bed. I laid awake until I passed out of exhaustion most night. Not a fun time. One night something woke me up. I saw a figure floating in through my doorway. I could see him all the way down to about his knees. He had on gray/blue pants, wore a red bandana around chin length blond hair and my first thought was "he is a blond indian," like Native American indian. I am part Native American. I thought so because it was pre-hippie times so wasn't used to seeing anyone at all with long hair. Only indians had long hair and might wear a headband. I croaked "Who are you?" and it vanished.

I kept a journal later in life and wrote down the story. Decades later something sparked my interest in it again as an adult so I reviewed it. Then I had a dream that that man was hung by a group of men where our cellar now sat. They hung him from a glowing golden oil derrick, which made no sense. I felt I was being given information of who he was though. But the gold oil derrick made no sense, though oil derricks not gold were around. Not long after I had to drive out of town to take care of my aunt's funeral arrangements and did see a lit-up gold oil derrick on the way there. So I don't know what to make of it. He seemed from a time before oil derricks, but who knows.

My aunt and grandmother lived on the same block in Victorian houses. When my grandmother died, the niece moved in, who was my age. I'd stayed overnight in the house over the course of my childhood and felt comfortable in certain rooms but not in others. The bedrooms were two in a row across the back with narrow closet passageways at the end that were spooky. No one lived in them. They were the scary rooms. There were two adjacent doors into the house from the front porch, one into a small living room and one into a large space that would have been my choice for the living room, but that is where Grandmother slept. She had two beds in there, just because they'd fit, I guess. So that was always a little weird. But that room did feel safe, so maybe she felt the same thing. At some point before I was born, one of her sisters shared the space.

I went to visit the niece in that house and she put me in one of the scary rooms. It wasn't long before I felt an unwelcoming presence standing right over me. I wouldn't look. It was pitch black in there anyway. I mean, I was sweating with the intensity of it, scared to death. During this time, I heard a loudish "chink" from the direction of the living room. It was probably the hope that someone was up in there that gave me the courage to get out of bed and go in there. No one was up. But I felt better in there and slept on the couch the rest of the night.

After I got home, the niece called me and had found a broken ashtray and acted like I'd hidden it from her and said, You could have told me. It's only an ashtray. So that's what broke during the ghostly staredown, I guess. But see, once it broke, the tension broke also.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:51 pm 

We've known since we moved into this house that we have at least one 'ghost.' DH named it Hubert. Hubert likes to hide things from us, and on occasion, he manifests a voice. One day I came home from work before DH and went downstairs to check my e-mail. I was just sitting there at the computer in the basement, not thinking about much of anything, and I hear a man's voice say "Honey." It wasn't DH's voice. Plus I knew he wasn't home; the house is all wood floors and you can hear every creak. He hadn't come home while I was down there. I sat there for a minute wondering if I was nuts, then I came back upstairs and looked out the window just to be sure DH wasn't home and of course he wasn't.

One night about 2:00am (DH is an insomniac) he was in the bathroom peeing, and distinctly heard a man's voice say in a friendly tone "Hello." DH was thinking, what, is this ghost a voyeur? Can't I get a little privacy?

And then one morning a few weeks ago DH was still in bed and I went in to tell him I was leaving for work. He said he heard me close the front door and a few seconds later a man's voice said "Goodbye."

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
― Mark Twain

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:12 pm 

^ Awww, you are so lucky to have a friendly ghost who is glad you are there. Have you ever tried to cross him over in case he doesn't know he's dead? Or do you think he only visits occasionally but isn't stuck there?

Great stories, all! I love a good ghost story.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:12 pm 

It's pouring up here and my cousin called to see if we have any trick or treaters. We have had ten kids total, so I was chatting on the phone with him. He asked if my parents still have this old Victorian-looking couch in the "parlor" off the staircase. The parlor is a formal living room and there's an old red and gold brocade covered couch in it against the far wall. I asked him why he thought about that old couch. He said "I don't know and don't laugh, but I thought I saw someone sitting on it one night". He said he was serious and I do remember that he ran past that room and up the front staircase as if he were being chased. He would go up the back stairs normally, but he raced up the ones near that living room. I hated that room too, but I never saw anything in it besides old, heavy furniture that cast creepy shadows and this gargantuan ebony grandfather clock that reminded me of Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death". That thing spooked me as its ominous tolling can be heard throughout the house, but I never saw anything ghostly in that room. It wouldn't surprise me if he thought he saw someone though. That room has always given me the creeps. Even today I don't like it after dark, and I quickly pass it out the front door or up the stairs.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:44 pm 

Oh, that's interesting! I'm sure he did see someone. Why would anyone make that up, you know? It always kills me when people think those who have seen or heard something are making it up, because what on earth would be the motivation? My grandma (in the house aforementioned) also had an old tolling clock. My aunt on the other side has it now because we just didn't want it. I mean, it's pretty, but it's just too creepy. I have enough sleep disturbances without a gonging clock.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:03 pm 

^I thought he might have mistaken the back of the couch for someone's head or something. The couch has this back that has almost like a wave across the top - two higher swells at each end and a lower, wider hump in the middle. Then there is another piece of furniture, a large china cabinet, that throws a shadow across one end of the couch when the moonlight comes in the window - it basically makes one end dark. I wondered if he glanced in and saw something that looked like a head when it was really the blackened-out end of the couch with that higher part of the back sticking up. He could have mistaken shadows and a funny old couch's back for a person, but that room is creepy and he definitely could have seen someone just as easily as a shadow. I always ran past that room at night too. In the day it was perfectly fine, but at night it just became spooky. All the furniture in that room is old. Some of it came with the house - like the couch, the china cabinet, a faded mirror and a stained-glass table lamp - so who knows what history that room holds. The grandfather clock came from Germany. My parents bought it over there and it was an antique when they bought it, so it's probably got untold tales as well. I do believe he thinks he saw a person - he's got no reason to tell me this now when I no longer live at my parents' house - but I wonder if it was really someone sitting there or shadows and furniture? I wish I'd been there to see it way back when, but I'd probably have never gone up the front stairs again :lol: