It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I put a bar in my house
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:15 pm 

I wanted to share this. I Just finished it this last weekend, and I'm pretty proud of it. It's about 100 times more fun than a kid room full of kid crap.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:40 pm 

That looks great!

I did the same thing about five years ago; our house had a huge dining room. It was really like two rooms without the wall in the middle, so we pulled up the carpet, put down a laminate floor, some paint, a small bar and a back, and a little TV up in the corner, just like a neighborhood bar.

The downside is, right after we finished, and I mean days after we finished, Wife went through some serious health issues and had to stay off the alky-hol for a couple of years. We got in maybe four cocktail hours, and then it stopped.

Even now, we don't spend nearly the time in there we planned to, as she's still limited with her drinks (probably better for our health anyway), but it's still fun to "open the bar" every so often and serve up some drinks.

I'll try to remember to post a couple of pics.

How long did it take you to do all that? It took me forever, because I refinished the bar and the back myself, and I'm slow as shit. My brothers helped with the floor, but even with that, I bought a box of flooring every so often, so it got dragged out, too.

Do you have any plans to do any entertaining, or is this just for you?

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:02 pm 

Thank you. It took me 5 or 6 weeks in total. I'll do the floors too eventually. There is old parquet in this room and the living room now, and it's not terrible, but not ideal either.

I had the actual bar, but I had to spruce it up a little and make some repairs. The bar back used to be cabinets for storage that we really didn't need, so I took off all the doors, repaired, sanded and painted all of the wood that was the framing for the cabinets, and had some tempered glass shelves made for all of the glasses.

We had our grand opening over the weekend for our friends and neighbors. Funny, when you tell people that you built a bar, they will show up. We got a pretty good crowd. We plan to entertain quite a bit. Its a nice feeling really, the mobile home that I used to live in got so crummy over the years, and it wasn't a good investment to remodel it, so I didn't, but that meant that for the last few years, I didn't have people over. When my Fiance and I bought this house, we weren't as concerned with the number of bedrooms (there are two) but more that the house had a room like this for entertaining.

I'd like to see pictures of yours.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:39 pm 

Bert, your bar looks very inviting. I love the big table with bench seats.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am 

When I was looking for houses in 2000, one of the houses I looked at had a wet bar in the basement..... suffice it to say, a VERY rare amenity for houses in my price range. Ultimately, we went with another house, but the bar house is right down the street from mine... I wonder if it gets any use.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:45 pm 

Here's my bar:
Attachment:
IMG_1666.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm 

Cool! Is the stuff on your walls from your travels?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:37 pm 

^^^ A lot of it is, yes. Other things have some kind of sentimental meaning. There are only a couple of things that we just saw and bought for the hell of it (like the London skyline pic, which came from Target).

It was interesting, because when we first opened it, we took great pains to be like a commercial pub, in that I kept a list of available beers out, we had custom coasters made, and things like that.

One day, my friend stopped me and said, "Here, thought you might want this for your bar." He's been there and saw what we were trying to do.

He handed me a menu, circa early 1960's, of a restaurant outside Munich. Very beautifully illustrated, it was, and it even had a section in English, which it said was "For the benefit of the American military, serving in our community." I thought that was kind of cool.

He'd found it in the basement of the house he'd bought. The person he bought it from was a German ex-pat who'd owned the restaurant before coming to the US.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:18 am 

Very nice! I'd love to have one, but we don't have the space. It would be nice to have a proper area to showcase all the weird liqueurs and lovely whisky we have collected on our travels. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:18 pm 

I'm not really sure if we were supposed to have a bar in our basement, or what is going on with the sink and cabinets over on one wall. There's a bathroom in the basement, but that has the utility sink right outside. It's odd as it's a long counter, and then a small sink, like a bar sink, but there's no bar in front of it. It reminds me of a conference room set-up where you have the refreshment counter, the small sink, and the small fridge for the bottled waters. The woman we bought the house from was a little old lady, and everything in the house was last updated in the '40s, if at all. This sink looks newer than that, but it's impossible to tell when it was put in. There's overhead cabinets, the counter, the sink, and cabinets under the counter. Maybe they were going to put in a bar back in the day and never got around to it? We've thought about finishing it, but it's over by the washer/dryer and the bathroom - on the opposite side of the basement from the TV and couch, so basically the entire house length away from the entertainment.

I like everyone's bars though! Very cool, and much more creative than our "bar" that is filled with cleaning supplies :lol:

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."- Victor J. Stenger