It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:00 pm 

This need has been brewing for a little while now. My lifestyle has changed over the last few months and I'm not bogged down/numbed by a soul sucking job anymore. And I'm emerging from the coma. Starting to feel like my old self, which was a vibrant and imaginative person that was very engaged with my senses.

My old outlets don't really fit my current lifestyle. I need a fresh approach.

In another thread here Den mentioned his music blog where he is going through his entire ipod in alphabetical order and writing about select songs. This has triggered my interest. I am a huge music nerd, it's what inspires me most that is accessible every day. I lost touch with it during the time I was in my occupationally induced coma but I'm back now.

I'm also trying to get back into running, very gradually because I've become out of shape over the last couple years.

A common thing I see people posting on social media is a request for workout music suggestions. I recently resurrected an old ipod and got a kick out of listening to all my old running playlists. Plus I have playlists on several other devices and streaming programs.

How can I do something with this? Make a dedicated running/fitness music blog?

Or do I do something along the lines of what Den did and go through my ipod but perhaps in the form of my personal playlists instead of just alphabetically? I feel overwhelmed at the thought of an alphabetical run through because it's just so much material and I'd fail at editing it down. I need a built in way to edit it, so by playlist is an idea.

I don't know much about blogs. Never had one. I do follow a couple music bloggers, and there are a few cooking blogs that I don't follow consistently but do revisit. I don't expect to have an audience or anything. But ultimately it would be great to be able to engage with people through it.

What do YOU do for a creative outlet?

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 pm 

All sorts of stuff.

I make and sell items on eBay. Very satisfying. Gives me money in my ebay account for when I want to get something personal. Mostly I like the serenity I feel when I'm working on my little pieces. It's also fun interacting with some people. Right now I'm working with someone back and forth for a custom piece of her pet, with the background of Van Goghs Starry Night.

I learned to make bread not too long ago, and have gotten pretty good. It certainly delights my neighbors.

I trade my own stocks. Where I am right now though is just moving putting them in dividend earning stocks. When the mood hits, I'll start trading again.

I swim, well, swim a little, tread water, swim, relax. I'm in no competition. The pools closed until May 8th or 9th for Spring maintenance and I'll be a wreck by then.

I am a campionship napper.

Reading and Netflix.

If it isn't fun, I'm not gonna do it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:45 pm 

Designing your own custom clothes (personal style).

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:48 am 

Ok, this might get kind of long...:)

First, I'm a musician, so that's my primary creative outlet. I go through phases, though; when I've been working and in bands, that's been my focus. When that stopped, I spent a few months setting up a little recording space in my house and concentrated on writing and recording.

When I didn't feel like writing, I directed everything toward recording covers; sometimes very straight-vanilla interpretations, sometimes completely off-the-wall. Lately, though, I've stopped recording and I'm putting a lot of effort in setting up a one-person performing rig, so I can get back to some live performing.

Since I'm fairly scatterbrained with a lot of things, all of these projects take a lot of my time and consume much of my creative energy.

Another thing I do, somewhat related, is that I write movie scripts for films that'll never get made, that are playing only in my head. I think of an idea (usually in the middle of the night), then I flesh it out into a script. Then I imagine, "If I only had $10M, this could be the next big thing!"

I'm actually writing the outline of a piece I imagined just this morning, in the wee hours, and it's about (warning, it's kind of disgusting) a couple, and she gets pregnant, but they both find that the longer it goes on, the less they're in love with the idea of being parents. The weird part is that the man doesn't want to be supplanted by a baby, so he's openly hostile, where she's more ambivalent about the whole thing. The disgusting part is that the first scene I imagined was one where it initially looked to be a sexual scene, but it takes a twist when she ends up breastfeeding him. Sick, huh? :lol:

Memo mentioned fashion - that's something I'd love to be more involved in, if money permitted. I'm not that interested in the industry, or how design works, but I love putting together unconventional outfits, and my wife always makes me go shopping with her because she has no fashion sense, no idea of color or texture or anything like that, so she turns me loose in the shops and I pick combinations for her.

I think it gets back to the performance side of my personality, and I've always thought that the world would be much happier if, instead of men dressing a certain way all the time (like khakis and button-downs or suits) and women dressing a certain way all the time, wouldn't it be fun if every day were like dress-up? One day, you'd come to work dressed like you're heading to Studio 54 circa 1977, and the next day, you could look like Captain Nemo if you wanted, and so on, and so on.

You should have seen me yesterday: last year, I caught a fashion museum exhibition featuring 60's fashion icon Peggy Moffitt, and I was absolutely blown away. Well, yesterday, I watched the 1966 film "Blow Up" and it's about a Swinging '60's London fashion photographer, and one of the scenes had actual models of the time in some outrageous outfits, and sure enough, there was the queen of them all, Peggy Moffitt, wearing one of the outfits I'd seen in the exhibit. The whole movie, I kept making mental notes about this person's shirt and that person's shoes.

Being a clothes horse, though...that gets very expensive very quickly, so I try to rein it in. As it is, I have two large closets full of stuff, and two large dressers and a smaller chest of drawers as well.

I don't really have much of an idea on what to do with your music library. With something like that, my creativeness would come out in some kind of organizational way, like I'd make playlists where each one would have a song that starts with A followed by one that starts with B, etc, until I ran out of songs, or maybe I'd think of a theme for the week/month and pick three or four songs that match that theme and blog about those.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:59 am 

Before I had my music blog, I ran a general-interest blog for almost a decade, where I just posted my thoughts on anything and everything. If you wanted a broader topic but still wanted to connect it to running, maybe you could do something like blog about the thoughts you have during your daily run, or the things you see (I'm sure you see some weird/interesting things). I also like the idea of commenting on your playlists, and how and why you chose those songs.

I have lots of writer friends and many of them have blogs related to their interests. One of them has been running a movie-review blog for ages, even though he admits almost no one reads it. Another goes to state and national parks and writes about that. Still another has been writing about her experiences with trying new things like moving to a new city, getting into improv, and joining a roller-derby squad -- and she has actually turned the latter entries into a book that may get published.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the topic or theme... just start writing if that's what you want to do. And don't put pressure on yourself to write or else it will turn into a chore.

As for my other creative outlets apart from writing: I do a lot of cryptic crosswords, which require a lot more lateral thinking than a typical crossword puzzle. I have been running for the last year, but that's more out of necessity (high blood pressure) than truly enjoying it -- though I enjoy it more than I ever thought I would. And I read -- not necessarily books, but I love scouring sites like Wikipedia and TV Tropes for information about the world. And I love reading people's true-life stories on sites like Not Always Right, F My Life, etc.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:38 pm 

Making your own hygiene products. Not everything though. Just the stuff that ends up costing out the butt with chemicals galore.