It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pole Dance Fitness
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:15 am 

Any pole fitness people here? I've been poling regularly for 2 1/2 years. Studio only, never performed in a club. I have a really hard time with the social aspect of pole fitness since its a female dominated industry and I'm not very good at making friends, especially with other women. Due to my unconventional views and lifestyle (childfree, pole dancer, minimalist, rebellious nature in general :P ) most people in real life tend to shy away or keep me at arms length. I also switched pole studios back in November and the place I'm at now doesn't promote much of a welcoming supportive atmosphere between students like the last studio did. It was definitely a huge culture shock and disappointment. Slowly I'm working my way into the complicated female hierarchy but it gets lonely sometimes, just looking for someone to chat with :D

Post subject: Re: Pole Dance Fitness
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:49 pm 

One member I know of does, but I haven't seen her post in quite a while, unfortunately.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 pm 

I took some pole classes a few years ago, bought a pole and practiced for a while, but I haven't gotten it out in a while. I found it was really great for strength and conditioning (especially for my upper body which tends to be weak). However, I tend to feel really self-conscious when I dance (I am a terrible dancer and have been made fun of in the past), so I found the classes a bit awkward. I preferred practicing in the privacy of my own home. Husband liked it too :lol:

Maybe I'll pull out my pole and give it another whirl (pun intended). I could use a good workout or five!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:28 am 

I felt really awkward too in the beginning. It was months before I could climb without immediately sliding back down to the floor and then I had to learn how to function whilst wearing the recommended 7" pleaser stilettos. I was also much bigger at the beginning of my pole journey. I weighed 184 when I took my first class and now I'm at 155. I still struggle with body image every time I watch a video of myself dancing or performing trick combos. That and I beat myself up over the fact that its been almost 3 years since I started and I have yet to perform on stage :cry:

The struggle is real my friend. If you ever need someone to talk pole with you can always message me. I'm also a member of a closed group on fb called Pole Freaks which is another excellent source of support and inspiration for all polers. Pole siblings unite! :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:19 am 

I've always liked pole dancing. It's sexy, takes a lot of skill and effort (or at least it looks that way to my untrained eye), it's great for fitness and just plain looks awesome.
Unfortunately, I have the flexibility and dancing skills of a boulder.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:21 pm 

The gym here offers it but they are only open for specialty classes during hours of the day when most people would be working or getting off/commuting home. Other than that it's a 24 hours gym for members only.

Seven inches? The only stilettos I had were 5" and those were of the Salsa persuasion. I don't think I ever would use heels in this kind of class because I've done gymnastics before. Approach it like the uneven bars.

Just checked it and they no longer offer it. Rapid only now. Either someone complained about the content or not enough people signed up. Not surprised given the majority fitness level of most people living here but it still sucks.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:37 pm 

I've been wanting to do it for years!!

I am too much of a wuss though.
I always get all the info, prices, schedules, requirements... Then I wimp out.

I am really not into social anything, and places with a lot of people usually give me anxiety.
Plus, I struggle a lot with body image.
Am always thinking "I'll do it when I lose some/more weight".

Just saw a new studio really close to my house opened. Tempted again... Maybe this time..

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:47 pm 

I think I need to look into this. Maybe it will be so much fun I forget about how I can't dance. And then maybe I'll consider a career change!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:13 am 

Hey everyone! Due to an injury in my right shoulder I've had to back off from pole for a bit to recover. I practice at home here and there, I have a 50mm chrome plated xpole mounted in my dining room.

My future MIL came over for a visit on Saturday and I did some tricks for her. Shoulder mount, superman, crucifix, and the Vanna White spin to name a few ;)

Its been about two months since I went on hiatus from the pole studio and I took a gentle yoga class last week to test the waters a bit. Looks like its going to be an ongoing process to rehabilitate my shoulder but luckily I'm a LMT and I work in an auto injury clinic so I have access to doctors and different treatments that wont cost me anything.

Lesson learned: Never let your ego get in the way of training safely!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:11 pm 

Started pole in late August here at a fantastic Vegas studio and I'm hooked! There's quite a lot of body diversity in my classes, so it's put my mind at ease being curvier and not as ballet-esque thin. It's already done amazing things for me flexibility along with increasing my self-esteem. There's something so awesome about pole- your instructors and classmates really do become your family. Everyone just wants to see every single person improve.