It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Pole Dance Fitness
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:55 pm 

You know, I think being a little thicker around the thighs and waist is helpful in the beginning. Learning to use your skin to grip the pole is easier when you have extra fluff to cushion your body and plenty of skin to help you stick. Pole fitness is very much a body positive sport. It also promotes healthy female friendships which can be difficult to establish nowadays.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:36 pm 

I do, although I've been on hiatus for a few months now since a car accident. It's hard as fuck, and I'm in no way suited for it - it requires a lot of strength, which I don't have, and a lot of flexibility, which I definitely do NOT have (I'm the least flexible able bodied person I have ever encountered). And while pole people are generally a very accepting bunch, it's still very demoralizing and depressing to me personally to always be the oldest, fattest (and least flexible by a huge margin) person in the room (I spend a lot of time trying not to cry). I'm also not good at making friends with strangers, so I'm always just standing there by myself while everyone else in the room becomes BFFs.

ETA: Also, I bruise very easily - and if you take pole, you're gonna get bruised in places you didn't even know it was possible to bruise. :/ And I'm too chicken to be upside down - headstands, headstands, even simple front or back rolls - can't do it. (I've never advanced far enough to try inversions.)

Bottom line, if you're moderately flexible and brave, you'll love it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:08 pm 

I've wanted to, so badly! It looks like so much fun!
The thing is I live in the middle of nowhere, and for me to even get to a normal gym is 40 min. I'm hoping a studio will open up somewhere close that offers classes.