It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:40 pm 

I myself really like history and read a lot about it in my spare time whenever I am able to do this; anyway, does anyone here share this interest and hobby of mine? :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm 

Me! Me! Right now I'm into 18th century seafaring stuff - both the naval and commercial. Love tall ships. :) We have one near us that I volunteer with (she's a reproduction and not a large ship at all but, hey, I'll take what I can get) and love it all.

I actually got my masters in Greco-Roman history and culture and would like to return to that once I recover from the post-grad burnout and perhaps write a bit. You know, tap into that vast first-century edge-of-the-empire historical fiction market. Aaaand I think I just made it sound more exciting than it is. But I love it. :) My thesis looked at how cities were rebuilt after earthquakes which led me to a more in-depth study of Pompeii than I'd gotten to do previously and it was amazing to see just how much hasn't changed. Obviously there's some huge differences, specifically in family structure, women's rights, technology ... but I started working at a mall at the same time and seeing the pictures of the forum with it's center courtyard and large stalls surrounding it ... it's almost eerie how well the two transpose onto each other. And the graffiti is crazy-familiar. Literal "call Lydia for a good time" stuff. I love seeing those glimpses into their lives.

What's your favorite era/place?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm 

Jeanae wrote:
What's your favorite era/place?

European history starting from the industrial revolution, I suppose.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:55 am 

Yeah, I love history, specifically British Isles, and American history up through the Revolution, then with a specific interest in WWI.

People always laugh a bit when they find out I have zero interest in the two most popular wars among American enthusiasts (Civil War and WWII).

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:32 pm 

I like late modern & contemporary history, that's what I read and pursue. Dust bowl, iron curtain, post Reagan American history and Putin's Russia were my latest reads.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:31 pm 

I am trying to get more into history. But for right now, most of my exposure is through the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm 

ketchup wrote:
I am trying to get more into history. But for right now, most of my exposure is through the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast.

I used to listen to that podcast while I showered & got ready/dressed. I liked it, but I'm not sure if it's because I listened to them out of order or if the podcast is just on the dry side but I remember feeling like I was missing context or something. It felt like starting to watch a movie half way into it, I guess. It could have just been my a.d.d. too, very possible. I was informative though.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:44 am 

Love history - though it's difficult to pick an era. Late Roman always gets my attention, though, especially on the fringes of the empire.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:17 pm 

You mean the barbarians and whatnot?

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:23 pm 

mynameisjane wrote:
ketchup wrote:

I used to listen to that podcast while I showered & got ready/dressed. I liked it, but I'm not sure if it's because I listened to them out of order or if the podcast is just on the dry side but I remember feeling like I was missing context or something. It felt like starting to watch a movie half way into it, I guess. It could have just been my a.d.d. too, very possible. I was informative though.

Haha, I've noticed sometimes they don't give enough context. There have been a few different hosts over the years, so it varies. The order shouldn't matter unless it's a two part podcast, which happens sometimes.