It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Menopause!
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm 

I think it's here! Last week, I had my FSH levels tested and they are over 30. According to my lab report, anything over 25 indicates menopause, rather than just peri-menopause. I've gone over 100 days without a cycle. Hoping & hoping that I'm finally done. Web MD says most women don't finish until 51 (I'm 47) but my mother was 45 when she finished. So far, I've had some mild hot flushing that is handled by phytoestrogens, but that's all. No weight gain, no mood changes, nothing!

What a relief after 34 years of a most unpleasant monthly hassle.

Post subject: Re: Menopause!
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:52 pm 

Welcome to the Wise Elders Club!

I've found being post menopausal very liberating. That has little to do with having actual periods cease.

It's the beginning of a new stage of life that's very rewarding.

Your mentioning your FSH level reminds me when I told my doctors I felt I was in menopause.

I've always been very regular, so I always noticed any changes. I was in my mid forties when I had a period that was just weird. I had a normal one after that, then the next one just didn't come. Right at the time of that missed period I happened to go to my doctor, so she took my blood and said everything was totally normal. All hormones right in mid range, and wasn't in menopause.

I just internally rolled my eyes. Somehow, I just knew I was done. I never had another period, and I just turned 58.

Re symptoms, maybe 9 months or a year after my cycle stopped, I was at work, looked up and thought, "huh. I'm hot inside. Is this what a hot flash is supposed to be?" It kinda didn't feel like it was happening to me, but to someone else. Anyway, it went away in a few seconds, and that was that.

I know some women have an awful time. I hope you're as lucky as I.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 am 

I feel like throwing a party! There have been no changes at all in anything...I still am myself. Even the hot flushes are more like tingles...as if I've briefly opened an oven door to check on my baking. In House of Cards, there's a scene in which Claire is opening her freezer door and sticking her head in. I definitely don't feel like that!

My mother had a very easy menopause, with no weight gain, sleep disruption, et cetera, so maybe I'll be as lucky as you ^^ and she. :)

I've been on anti-depressants for eight years and was born with low serotonin levels, so hard to say if depression will be affected or not. The meds also knocked my libido out so also hard to say if menopause will further affect this, or if I just don't like sex anymore. Not too bothered at any rate.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 pm 

I hate all of you. I have had three years and counting of terrible hot flashes, and the worst interrupted sleep ... I will wake up every hour and a half, like clockwork. Throw all the blankets off. Thrash around the bed. Just manage to fall asleep again, and have to wake up and pull all the blankets back on, because now I am freezing. I know now why they use sleep deprivation as a tool to fuck people up. And hot flashes in the middle of a sweaty Crossfit workout - just kill me. I make sure I can work out by the back door, so I can throw it open when I overheat ... and last week I crawled out the door after a workout and lay in the snow, in -19C, and it was glorious.

My memory is completely shot too. I have taken to doing things like putting my keys in the fridge. I remember a couple of my girlfriends telling me that they literally thought they were going crazy. because they were so forgetful.

I am fingers crossed that it might almost be over though ... the last few months I've had periods where the flashes will stop altogether for a month or so, before they start up again "sigh". One of these days, they have to just stop, right?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:46 pm 

:( I didn't mean to sound smug, Pikasam, and I'm sorry you're having a sucky time. I just bought a cream from Vitacost that I rub into my wrists and it's helped. I have had mental fogginess but that's been my whole life...just naturally someone who despite having a high IQ has absolutely no common sense. Sad but true. Add dyslexia into the mix and the fun is awesome.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:41 pm 

I'm sorry pikasam. I know it can be rough. I fortunately took after my mother, but her sister had an awful time of it.

Even with all the symptoms, I'll bet you're glad you don't have to deal with that useless menses every month.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 am 

It is what it is. I am very jealous of you having such an easy time of it though. :lol:

Mine is exacerbated by the fact that I can't take any synthetic estrogens, because they spike my blood pressure to dangerous levels. So HRT is not an option, and I even had to stop taking the soy isoflavones that stopped the flashes dead, because after a month my BP was up to 155/115. So basically, I just have to tough it out. But thanks, Coco - it is definitely better than bleeding the equivalent of a blood donation every month, for sure!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm 

cocolarue wrote:
I've found being post menopausal very liberating. That has little to do with having actual periods cease.

It's the beginning of a new stage of life that's very rewarding.

If I can get through today without starting my period (which is highly, highly likely) then I will be done! 12 months straight without a period. This is so awesome; I want to celebrate. I'm so glad Mother Nature is done with me and has written me off as a procreating failure. Best part...I'm only 46.

As for symptoms, I probably had them all in one form or another, they just weren't a major bother.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:30 pm 

Menopause Party!!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:37 am 

Congrats!! XD

"Change is coming to the world. Many fear change and will fight it with every fiber of their being. But sometimes, change is what they need the most. Sometimes, change is what sets them free." - Morrigan, Dragon Age