It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:56 am 

I'm 45 and in February I had a uterine polyp removed and sent for biopsy. They got the results back and called me in, said the polyp had hyperplasia with SOME atypical cells on it. They have no way of knowing if they got all the cells or if there are any left in my uterus (not necessarily localised where the polyp was). THe surgeon said my options were:

Do nothing but run a small but possible risk of the atypical cells going cancerous in later life
Have a Mirena coil fitted, the progesterone will revese the atypical cells (apparently)
Have a hysterectomy (he didn't say if it would include taking the cervix or not)

I said I wanted to think about it and do some research. I'm now in that minefield of trying to find accurate, unbiased and reliable information about either the coil or the hysterectomy. I'm really reluctant to have the coil as I've never been on the pill or put hormones into my body, and was hoping to avoid having to do so until menopause. I'm worried that the coil will make me put on weight or give me awful pain and cramps, as usual there are horror stories out there. I realise that it will affect everyone differently but I'm scared to risk having it put in then going through hell and having to wait however long to get it removed. They say it takes a few months to "settle in" during which time there may be adverse effects.

Also I'd want them to put me under a general if they insert it, as when I had a hysteroscope to remove the polyp it was so damn awful and painful I was crying and yelling and they eventually gave up and said they'd do it under general. They said they would fit the coil under a local but if it was painful they'd do it under general. I already know that it will be painful as I will be so tense from the past horrid experience and I want to bypass more trauma of trying to fit it when I'm conscious. HOW they think they can ram a straight rod into something so curvy and NOT have it hurt like hell, I do not know. I live in the UK so healthcare costs are not an issue, thank God. However, in August we holiday in America for 3 weeks for the solar eclipse (Road trip!!) and no offence to Americans, but I'm terrified of getting sick from the coil while over there and being at the mercy of your healthcare system, mainly due to the travel health insurance companies over here and their willingness to try to wriggle out of paying for everything and only cover the bare minimum of expenses.

Then I read a bit about hysterectomies and came across a website and a video that TRULY terrified me http://www.hersfoundation.com/anatomy/, I actually started crying seeing how a hysterectomy would apparently wreck every aspect of my life. I thought it was so negative it comes across as anti hysterectomy, and sure enough a bit more Googling and found:

http://honest2betsy.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... on-on.html
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showth ... 886&page=2

HERS is rabidly anti-hysterectomy :o

So I have a lot more reading left to do as I don't know which option to choose. I dont want to put on weight as I've been a size 10 and 8 stone all my life, I don't want to have bladder problems as I have an iron bladder and pee 3 times a day if that - great for when you're out and about ;) but if the uterus is removed the the bladder and bowel MUST shift their positions surely? I'm worried how my sex life will be affected if they whip out my uterus, and I only have one remaining ovary as my other was removed in 2014 due to a cyst. I have mild endometriosis too but the discomfort is minimal each month, I'm lucky in that respect.

And yes, I realise that the possibility of developing cancer should override any seemingly petty worries about my weight or being incontinent......

So if you have had either a Mirena or a hysterectomy please tell me your experiences :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:45 pm 

I had a hysterectomy last year and it was the best decision I could have made. My pain is gone, amongst other issues. I did not have weight gain issues from this surgery. If you are careful about how you eat after the surgery, when you are not very active, you will be fine. When I had my ovary removed a few years ago, the drop in hormones forced me to change my eating habits, but nothing further changed after my hysterectomy. My bladder hurt for about 10 weeks following the surgery, but is back to normal now.

I purposely did not look online prior to my surgery, because it would have terrified me. I had the surgery laparoscopically and I was only sore for about a week, unless I did too much.

I had essure many years ago and that was the reason for all of my troubles. I would hesitate to have any sort of device implanted, but maybe I react differently.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 am 

Do you find you need to pee more? If you don't mind me asking how old are you and are you naturally slim with no history of weight gain? Did you suffer from endo or just heavy periods? I'm trying to read proper peer reviewed scientific papers and not just forums, but I'm still not having much luck. Forums are full of women saying they put on loads of weight, but those who DIDN'T don't seem to rush to the forums to shout about it. I've never had to watch what I eat and always stayed slim, but I don't eat junk/fizzy drinks, I have a generally health diet, don't smoke, no coffee, minimal booze. I have a cross trainer I use once a week, I should use it more really. A lot of the women on other forums already seemed to be quite big, and complained they had got bigger so I wonder if you are predisposed to weight gain, you would have more issues. Did you find your waist/figure changed/thickened?

I know that the coil or operation will affect everyone differently and that's what's driving me crazy, I'll not know the effects until I jump in and just do it. Friends are saying "try the coil first, at least you can have it removed if it's a nightmare". Which is true. The hysterectomy can't be reversed and I'd have to live with it. But I have a small cyst on my remaining ovary and I seem to have too much estrogen in my system and not enough progesterone, as I got endo which is caused by the same imbalance. I can envision in the future I'd still have to have a hysterectomy due to this imbalance, even if I tried the coil now and it worked OK. Unless menopause knocked it all on the head.

I'm worried about how your organs move around once the uterus is no longer there - what happens to your bowel and bladder, and the potential incontinence it can cause :*( So many things to think about, FFS :( But because I'm already pretty tiny it's not like there would be a huge gaping gap in my belly so I'd hope nothing would move much.........but then you read about bladder nerve damage and the terrors go on..........

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:00 am 

I understand! It is a big decision! I had a very good doctor and didn't have anything unusual happen during the surgery. I was 36, naturally thin, and pretty active, but didn't really need to watch what I ate until they removed my ovary - it was a huge change because the estrogen production was out of control. By the time I had my hysterectomy, I had my new eating habits all sorted out. It would have been a different story had they removed my second ovary. I was very concerned about weight gain, but haven't had a problem (it has been a year). I am health conscious, though, so that helps.

I was pretty worried about the shifting of organs, but my doctor said a uterus is very small - like the size of a small fist. Inside my abdomen felt a little weird for the first two weeks, but not bad. After the surgery, it was difficult to pee, because of the pain meds, so it felt like I had to go a lot. That stopped after about five days, when I stopped taking them. Everything eventually felt the way it did before the surgery.

After the surgery, I pretty much ate fruit for several days. I didn't feel like eating anything else and I was concerned about everything working properly... the first few times you go number two, you need to be careful (no straining).

Last edited by erogerman on Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:04 am 

I had one ovary removed 2 years ago, it's made no difference to my weight. The remaining ovary has a small cyst on it so I don't know how much longer that will be functioning. He'd hopefully leave this ovary in so I'd still get hormones from it but I read that part of the blood supply is cut off when the uterus is removed and the ovary then fails within 5 years anyway. but as I'm 45 I'll be nearing menopause by then regardless. I'm a bit concerned that if they see the cyst on the other ovary is getting bad they may whip that one out too. Do you still have one ovary left?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:11 am 

I just edited my post above, while you were posting your last one (added some stuff). I didn't realize that change when the uterus is removed. Makes sense though. I lost my appetite for about six months and had to get a prescription for more estrogen. I lost five pounds and was underweight after the surgery until I got the prescription. My estrogen level dropped after the hysterectomy but now I feel better than ever and my weight is right on. I have one ovary left.