It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 am 

I've been having a lot of stomach issues off and on over the past few years. Today I found out that I have gallstones and that I potentially have some form of I.B.S. I was thinking of trying the Whole30 program in order to "reset" my body and figure out what foods have a bad effect on my body once I start reintroducing non-Whole30 foods. Has anyone tried this program before? If so, what were your results? Any feedback would be most helpful. :-)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Don't. Whole 30 is one of the worst diets for being able to stick with it, and for your body. http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/best-diets-overall The keto diet isn't listed on there either, but it's similar to the Atkins diet, which you can see is wayyyy down on that list.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 am 

Honestly, you'd be way better off having a full spectrum allergy test done. Trying to figure gut issues by elimination is incredibly difficult and very, very tedious. I tried it for six months, didn't really get anywhere, and sprang the $$$ for the allergy testing - and when I got the results back it was eye opening. Making changes based on that, and introducing a live probiotic, got me further in a month than I'd gotten in the previous two years.

It never hurts to have better food in your diet, but not all food is created equal, as far as your digestion is concerned. If you really think you have gut issues, get off the internet and find a decent dietitian/naturopath to help you out.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 am 

That's really good advice, Pikasam. I never even thought about having an allergy test done. I will definitely look into that, and thank you for your input. :-)

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Good call, allergies don't have to be life and death, a lot of them are small things that add up and make your life (and digestion) harder.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:25 pm 

I was diagnosed with IBS back in 1990 (first attack was at my wedding reception!!), so I've lived with it for a while. No idea what the initial cause was, but stress is a factor for me. I went through many years of taking an OTC anti-spasmodic after an attack, and learning what I can and can't eat. A big help was changing my diet when I did P90x - eating sensible things in sensible quantities. Another big help was following a FODMAP diet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP and adding in a daily dose of probiotics.

Most important is keeping a diary of what you're eating and how you feel afterwards. For me, it can be the damndest things - like drinking super-cold liquids on an empty stomach. I can't eat much broccoli/cauliflower, etc any more (no matter how much I love it), but I'm a lot less sick that I used to be.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 pm 

Thank you for the information! I will definitely look into that as well. I have an appointment with my doctor coming up concerning an allergy test, and possible gallbladder removal. It's been a doozy for sure. Thanks again, everyone, for your insights and help.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:22 am 

Hope it works out for you! Good luck!