It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 296, 297, 298, 299, 300
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:31 am 

Ok, something that really gets under my skin:

I made a pasta carbonara recipe last night, which featured roasted cauliflower and pancetta. The recipe came from one of those seemingly millions of food blogs out there.

First step, roast the cauliflower and set aside. Second step, fry the pancetta and set aside.

From there, it’s the standard boil-the-pasta step, and then the sauce is a raw egg-and-cheese mix that gets tempered with hot pasta water (to prevent scrambling), then immediately poured over and tossed with the warm pasta, and the heat from the pasta cooks the egg just enough to make a nice, velvety sauce.

Fair enough, but that means at the end, a few things are happening in quick order, and it’s important to concentrate on the instructions.

So just as the pasta is finishing, I’ve got a warm skillet with onions and garlic in it ready to go, I read the next step, get the egg and parm mixed together...next step, I gently add in hot pasta water a bit at a time to the eggs, to get them up to temp...then next step, quickly get the pasta out of the water, into the skillet, immediately start tossing that, then next step, adding the egg mixture and vigorously stirring that to get it cooked, then next step, plate it up, top with fresh parsley, then serve, which I do.

Whew! Little bit of work, and a lot of timing, but this looks really good! Wait a minute...what about the cauliflower and the pancetta?!? Did I miss a step?

Read back through it...read it a third time...nope. Nothing. Once it said “...and set aside,” it never mentioned the two main ingredients again.

Now, it may seem like it’s obvious if you’re making Cauliflower And Pancetta Carbonara, that it should be impossible to forget to add it in, but when five things are happening at once, as is often the case in a kitchen, I really depend on the accuracy of the recipe, because at that point, I’m in full-auto mode, just doing exactly what the recipe says.

Also, I proofread the recipe for any difficult parts and to get a handle on the timing, but I didn’t think I’d have to proofread for things that are missing. Spotting an abcense of an item in a narrative is actually kind of hard, unless you’re specifically looking for that problem - which I guess I should from now on. :roll:

So we ended up having Pasta In Egg And Cheese Sauce, with a side of Roasted Cauliflower And Pancetta.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:57 pm 

Cheddar-bacon bratwurst patties (on buns) with German potato salad on the side.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 pm 

^^Five-spice whiskey sours sound delightful; mind sharing the recipe?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:04 am 

^^^ Sure:

Combine 2 TB water and 1-1/2 TB sugar in a small bowl. Microwave on high 20 seconds or until sugar dissolves. Stir in 1/2 tsp five-spice powder. Cool to room temperature.

Place sugar mixture, 3 TB fresh lemon juice and 3 oz bourbon in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for 10 seconds. Strain into two glasses filled with ice. Garnish with lemon rind strip.

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am 
Forums Admin

Quote:
Combine 2 TB water and 1-1/2 TB sugar in a small bowl.

I initially read this as 2 terabytes of water and 1 1/2 terabytes of of sugar. I think I've been working in tech too long.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 pm 

^^Thanks for the recipe, CarryOn! I made these last night. I really liked them; husband was neutral. I misread your recipe though, and didn’t realize it made 2 drinks, so I doubled it. It went straight to my head, and I was pretty looped last night.

For dinner last night, I made beef carbonnade: round steak, lots of onions, beer, beef stock, and a little red wine vinegar and cornstarch added at the end to thicken it. Topped with bacon bits and served over noodles, with steamed broccoli on the side.

Tonight I’m making sweet potato and chicken casserole with black beans, corn, jack cheese, and a tomato-chipotle sauce. Should be ready to come out of the oven any minute now...

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 pm 

Burgers with raw onion and Boursin garlic cheese spread. French fries and gravy on the side.

-- Oscar Wilde

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2997 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 296, 297, 298, 299, 300