It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 am 

While being about to post on another thread it occurred to me that Indian restaurants are a great place for some family-unfriendly dining.

1. There are plenty of mild dishes on an Indian menu but still, parents could be put off by the unusual ingredients.
2. No children's section of the menu - I've browsed through many a menu and have never seen a separate bit for children.
3. No children's activities - either inside (activity sheets) or outside (because they tend to be in terraces/city-centre locations without space outside for a plastic monstrosity).
4. Not always suitable for a big family gathering because it's not to everyone's taste so you don't get so many big groups with everyone from babies through to great-grandparents present.
5. Association with groups of men drinking lager?
6. Parents worried their precious ones will get upset if they can't understand a heavily-accented waiter/waitress? You know how some parents these days like their children to read out their order and also want the staff to fawn over them a bit, which isn't as easy if there's an accent-barrier.
7. Service levels above what you'd expect for the price. This links into the point above: some parents might not want such a formal dining experience and could expect the staff to interact more with the children. I've found that even when an Indian restaurant isn't that expensive you still get a friendly, but sophisticated, service that you'd find in more expensive venues.

I've eaten Indian food from about 5 years old and remember going to a restaurant from the age of 7. So I'm not saying they'll be completely child-free but now I think back to my childhood (being in an almost-empty room, definitely no other children there) and to recent restaurant visits they've always been relaxing, adult-friendly venues.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 am 

You know, you might have just stumbled upon the realisation of the century! You're absolutely right, I honestly cannot remember going to an Indian restaurant and having it ruined by screaming kids.
Why didn't I think of this!? I Geek, you're a genius! 8-)
Well that settles it, I think we'll go out for Indian this weekend!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:00 am 

You've hit on something! Now I just need to enjoy Indian food. I wish I did!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:27 am 

I never really thought about it, but yes! You're right on! I love Indian food, and I do notice that the restaurants are usually not full of kids screaming and running around touching the buffet. I have been craving it for awhile too - I'll have to make a visit soon :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:00 pm 

Yes! Indian restaurants are awesome! The one I go to is small, the kind with the same awesome waiter every day who know us and gives us free naan bread. I rarely see children in there. They prefer the more bland and artificial favors at McDumpsters. That and quality Indian food tends to be more expensive.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:21 pm 

YES
Anything exotic seems to make parents run in fear the opposite direction! We figured this one out (never thought of sharing), when we started experimenting with exotic foods, Thai, Indian, sushi, Vietnamese, Moroccan... no kids!

Whenever we invited people out for our birthdays or just to hang out we always went with something beyond the normal and we never had any problems with loud kids. It can be affordable too depending on where you go.

Moroccan is my FAVORITE! Sushi is always our go to though... we love to sit at the bar!

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 pm 

I feel as if you've been lucky. I've seen chips and things on menus in Indian restaurants to make sure they get that trade where the children might be fussy etc.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm 

My experience on this has been mixed. Spouse and I don't see quite as many kids at our fave Indian place as at, say, Applebees or Friday's or any other chain restaurant. But we do see couples who bring young kids from time to time. Honestly, though, most of the kid problems we had at that place stemmed from the owners' kids. We quit going for a while, because their two daughters had run of the restaurant, and sometimes they'd have a friend with them too. Mostly they stayed at what was pretty much "their table", which was heaped with coloring supplies and Barbies. But sometimes their games would spill over into the aisles. The girls are now in grade school and mature enough to keep to themselves a bit, so the coast is clear again. Last time we were there, the younger one rang us up at the register and was totally professional about it.

ETA: I've found that my taste for spicy cuisine has helped a lot, though. Indian, Ethiopian, and Thai are good bets...though Thai has become so mainstream that you have to be choosy.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:52 pm 

Interesting observation and now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing kids at the Indian restaurants I've been to. I love me some tikka masala and naan bread!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:25 pm 

Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing children at Indian restaurants either. I guess they don't enjoy their vindaloo as much as I do.
It doesn't matter too much to me, though, at least not here. Children here are generally well behaved at restaurants (excluding fast food chains) and, if someone brings their fussy toddler, they usually take it out if it starts being loud.