It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:03 pm 

Guest wrote:
Just had my uterus yoinked out this past weekend. I too will be 47 in a couple of weeks, and going by the images my Dr. showed me, that uterus was not ever going to yield anything human. So there wasn't any chance of me becoming a mommy (thank all that's semi-holy), but a lot of women apparently experience hysterectomy as a wake-up that, wow, babies really are off the table now--- cue Regret...

When I woke up from my hyst, the doctor came in to brief me about how it went. There'd been some back and forth as to whether they were going to be able to do my hyst laparoscopically or not. She came in to confirm that yes, they'd been able to, and what they'd found when they were in there. I think she was a little taken aback about how thrilled I was about the whole thing - I couldn't thank her enough, and knowing that the whole heavy periods/reproductive worries thing was done forever literally made it one of the best days of my life.

Regrets? I didn't want kids when I was 20. I didn't want them at 30, or at 40. Now at 50, my life is mine. No kids in college draining my dry, no kids boomeranging back home, no kids failing to launch, no drama filled phone calls at 3am, no grandkids EVER. I've watched girlfriends struggle with their adult kids and their issues, and all I can think is "screw that noise". No regrets here at all. I'm sure there are people who think that I'm selfish and hedonistic ... if living my life on my terms and doing what makes me happy makes me selfish, then I have zero problems owing that. If you only get one go-around on this rock, why would you spend a quarter of it doing something that you're at best, ambivalent about?

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:44 am 

When i was younger i was desperate for a child and we tried for a very long time but it never happened.Now that i'm older i don't regret being childfree for a moment.Infact i wish i'd realised while i spent all that time trying that i was living a perfectly good childfree life.We're able to have the nice house,do what we like when we like well not right now with a new puppy but i can focus on the puppy and not the needs of children.Plus my marriage while not perfect is better because we've just got each other.We don't have the patience for children and my husband prefers to have me all to himself. :D
Enjoy what you have right now because later on those friends who've had children might just be looking at you with envy and wishing they'd made your choice too. :)

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:41 pm 

Pikasam wrote:
Guest wrote:
If you only get one go-around on this rock, why would you spend a quarter of it doing something that you're at best, ambivalent about?

Pikasam, I really relate to this, it's exactly how I feel. I see life as being so short and seeing as much of the world as I possibly can has always been top priority. I get one shot at this, I don't have any feelings about having kids, I'm ambivalent and when you say why would you spend a quarter of it doing something that your ambivalent about, you are so right. Why wouldn't you spend that precious time doing everything you love, that gives you the most joy, whatever that may be.

I also agree that when I hear people talk about their older kids and some of the problems they have I just think they goodness I don't have that in my life, like you say the noise of it, I relish my peace, the quiet.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:39 am 

Actually i do have a regret in that i spent far too long desperate to have a baby when my heart and soul really wasn't in it and not realising i was already living a really good childfree life.
I thought having children was going to be the way to having a great life,i know it's not the case.
I wish i'd known that when i was younger.I wasted 20yrs in thinking you get married you have kids. :(
Been married this year for 24yrs and we're happy.The puppy is driving us crazy! :lol:

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:01 am 
PMP

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 am 
Just wanted to "weigh in" on this. I am 65 years old, a widow nearly 15 years, and have never regretted not having children. Will post more, I hope, if my techno-challenged intelligence level did this right

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:30 am 

I'm nearing the end of my reproductive years, while friends around me are having babies here, there and everywhere. I do not regret my childfree status for one second. Hearing all the horror stories of pregnancy and birth, dealing with childhood illness, in-laws' expectations, lack of sleep, general mopping up of unpleasant fluids, right up to managing surly ungrateful teenagers - just glad to have missed out on the whole messy, thankless business.

Report this post