It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:26 pm 

I love my cats. They would and have gone nuts without seeing me for a few days. What they bring me is vastly different from having a kid. Love, companionship, clean cuddling and warm fuzzies. Dogs are also good, especially the kind I have. Big, protective and sofa aficionados. I am selfish in that I have pets to fit my needs. I do the ooh and aah over animals. To me, they are more interesting than mini humans.
Instead of. No. Better than.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm 

I love dogs and I feel the need to have one. I don't love kids (especially under the age of 6) and I don't feel the need to have one. Hence a dog would never be like a child to me, cause that would actually be bad. I just don't think having animals is "instead of" having kids. It's something different entirely.

It's as if you quit smoking but become a binge eater instead. It only means you still need the cigarettes and you replace them with something. If you don't want and need the cigarettes, you don't replace them. There isn't a void that you feel the need to fill with something.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 am 
Quote:
I don't think it has to be one or the other. In fact, I often feel there is a stereotype that if you are not wanting to be a mother, it has to "come out somewhere" and you will love to have pets - which I don't!

Very much agreed. I work with animals and nurse them back to health. No pets here. Animals aren't surrogate children to me. Why would one replace something that's not even desired? I also don't have to show the world that I'm still maternal in some way because it would make me look more sweet or more feminine or whatever. I don't care.

I loathe neediness in general. When I'm sick, I even dislike myself. I prefer smart independent animals over needy animals. Ducklings are babies who are mobile, fast, alert, able to escape predators and find their own food. Gotta love them.

Many animal species are born with eyes and ears closed but even these little ones aren't as needy and noisy as humans. They can find their mothers teat by themselves, don't have to be held and don't screech off their heads all the time. Human babies are a bad joke.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm 
Sounds like I'm in the minority. We have two small dogs and there are lots of jokes made where the dogs are like little boys/teenagers and brothers and we are mom and dad. I think it was born out of the dogs' specific personalities. One of them is like a dumb little kid that would come home with grass stains and frogs in his pockets and he likes the most basic stuff, he's just kind of a dummy, an oafish character. The other one is a snotty teenager that is too cool for basically everything and he just can't wait to "get out of this town", he smokes cigarettes and watches foreign films, he's really into revolution. So yeah we've developed this whole family with kids storyline that is a constant source of humor in the house. But I certainly don't think they are my actual kids or comparable to children. I've always despised the term "fur babies", ugh, gag me. I don't celebrate Mother's Day.

Physically I have thought that I might be indulging some faint biological instinct the way that I hold them. They are basically the size of babies and I looooove cuddling them. I feel extremely bonded to them.

I do like that they are dependent on me. Cats have never interested me much because they are independent. My mom's cat couldn't care less if she left the house and never came back as long as the cat had food.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:36 pm 
Forums Admin

Guest wrote:
I do like that they are dependent on me. Cats have never interested me much because they are independent. My mom's cat couldn't care less if she left the house and never came back as long as the cat had food.

I'm a cat person for this very reason. Having a dog is too much like having a kid.

Report this post