It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 pm 
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and want to thank everyone for your amazing information posted on this forum. I apologize ahead if my writing skills are below par, English is not my first language :)

Ever since I was even a pre-teen I've told my mother I didn't want children. Now that I'm in my late twenties (27) I still don't have that baby fever, and everyone else my age is having babies. I offered to babysit my friend's baby a few months ago. Those 2 days were probably the most annoying days of my life. I did not feel any "mothering" feelings towards the baby and to be honest I don't find babies even cute. Everyone always goes all "omg so cuuuute" over babies and I pretend to find babies cute just to not offend the mothers but honestly, secretly I thank my lucky stars I don't have a baby. I don't hate babies at all, i just don't feel anything for them. :/

But when I see puppies or dogs, or actually animals of any sort, oooooh my gawd you can't stop me. I go all "awwww" and "sooooo cuuuuuuute" over them and I give about the same reaction another person would towards a baby. And on top of it, I feel such an incredible mothering feeling toward puppies. I mean they're just soooooo cuuuuuuuute!!! lol see what I mean??
I have a 1 year old chihuahua and she is my whole world. I feed her the best food money can buy, she's very well trained. I guess how a "normal" person would feel towards their child, wanting them to get the best education and eat all their vegetables. Although I don't treat my dog like a baby, I do have very strong mothering feelings for her, and animals in general.

My husband thinks it's very very cute of me and doesn't mind that I want animals rather than babies of my own. In fact, he's probably the only person who wouldn't be embarrassed walking next to me and my dog in the dog stroller lol! He definitely loves babies though, but even then he encourages my love for animals and suggested we buy a house with a little space for a mini farm. He doesn't mind even one bit that I don't want children. He's so sweet isn't he :)

So why do I feel these mothering feelings towards animals and not human babies? Am I just born in the wrong species group? lol! Does anyone else choose animals over babies?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 pm 

I'm not a fan of either so I don't think it has to be one or the other. In fact, I often feel there is a stereotype that if you are not wanting to be a mother, it has to "come out somewhere" and you will love to have pets - which I don't!

There is nothing wrong with you for not wanting to have children. We live in a world that has elevated parenthood and children to god-like statuses, that's all.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm 

I'm pretty much the same way, and others here like animals more than kids too, so you are not alone.

I don't know what causes it, but even when I was growing up and would watch America's Funniest Home Videos, I would hate seeing the "funny" things kids(especially babies because they just sat there drooling) would do, because they weren't funny, and even if the animals weren't funny either I didn't care, because they were cuter anyway. :P

I wouldn't say I have to "mother" anything, but I do have a nurturing nature and whenever I see an animal(young or grown) I just want to love him and squeeze him and call him George, haha. I like to make sure our pets are taken care of and I love them dearly, but they aren't a substitute for kids. Like I've said in the past, if I wanted a kid I would have a kid, but I don't. I want pets so I have pets. Kids would just ruin it because they're too needy and time consuming, truth be told.

My "people skills" are "rusty." ~Castiel

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm 

I feel that way about my cats and dog. And when I see a mom/dad with stroller/kid/baby and dog, I always look at the dog first! I want to see how cute or well-behaved it is and I'd rather ask them about their animal family than their human children. I don't think I feel the need to "mother" someone or something. I'm an all-around helpful person who can do what I can to make anyone feel better, but the sound of a screechy child or crying baby makes me want to run away, not go see how I can help!

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm 

I don't identify it as a mothering thing.

I actively dislike the idea that my pets are my kids. They're not in the same category. I've just always gravitated toward animals and away from children. I need animals and feel a house is empty and kind of creepy (definitely not a home) if I don't have animal companionship. I don't need humans in the same way; I may enjoy their company, but I can quite easily live without another person in my home.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm 

MrsDesh - what was that cartoon you referred to - I will love him and pet him and name him George - it's somewhere in my brain, I just can't find it!

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 pm 

It's Looney Tunes. :D

My "people skills" are "rusty." ~Castiel

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:20 pm 
MrsDesh wrote:
I wouldn't say I have to "mother" anything, but I do have a nurturing nature and whenever I see an animal(young or grown) I just want to love him and squeeze him and call him George, haha. I like to make sure our pets are taken care of and I love them dearly, but they aren't a substitute for kids.

marieta wrote:
I don't identify it as a mothering thing.

I actively dislike the idea that my pets are my kids. They're not in the same category. I've just always gravitated toward animals and away from children. I need animals and feel a house is empty and kind of creepy (definitely not a home) if I don't have animal companionship. I don't need humans in the same way; I may enjoy their company, but I can quite easily live without another person in my home.

Yes, NURTURE was the word I was looking for! :D And yes, I meant animals are not a substitute for kids but so darn cute and make me feel all happy!! :D

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm 

Animals definitely make me happy. :-) Children don't.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm 
Oopsie ^^^^ "Guest" was me, Valerie :)

Report this post