It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:18 pm 

Hi guys, I've lurked quite a bit but not posted before, hope this is in the right section etc.

Anyway, I'm not very maternal, I don't think I have ever really been. I gravitate more towards cats than human babies, I just feel they are fleshy lumps who don't do much. I would HATE to see or even hear of any hurt in any way but I worry there is something wrong with me having no instinct to coo over babies and obssess the way everyone else does. People so blindly and unconditionally squee over them. I've even seen people post on Facebook something like "congratulations on the beautiful baby, when can we see it/see pictures of it" is it wrong for me to think "how can you automatically know it is beautiful if you haven't even seen it"? I wouldn't even know if one baby was cuter than another as they all tend to look the same to me. I literally have trouble telling babies and even small children apart they all blend into one. Sorry if this is going into a ramble but does anyone else feel/think the same?

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:34 pm 

Honestly, I think that the general "awww babies are cute" attitude is just a fad. Or that it's just the correct thing to say. But I think that many people - even those who want / have children - find babies boring or ugly.

Anyway:
http://metro.co.uk/2009/01/21/why-babies-all-look-the-same-to-men-359253/

Personally, I dislike babies... but I also dislike hairless baby animals. They are just so weird, too soft, shrunk skin :?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm 

YES! Most babies look exactly the same to me - like a wet, pink, slobbering sack with a set of vacant eyes. The rest stands out mostly because they're even uglier. To be fair, I've seen a few cute babies, but I do mean A FEW, and they were way past newborn stage.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:05 pm 

Thanks for the replies, the article was an interesting read and I see your point of the baby mice thing.
Also, I agree there are some babies I've seen that have been cute, but not near the newborn bit. I think even some parents agree the newborn phase isn't the cutest lol.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 pm 

Nope, you're fine. Human babies are among the absolute ugliest things nature ever created. I've never seen a single baby, not one, that looked like anything other than a sack of squish to me.

-- Oscar Wilde

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:48 am 

Babies are the stuff of nightmares. I've yet to see one that doesn't look like an overgrown maggot, beetle larvae have more appeal.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:54 pm 

I love the episode of Seinfeld where they are physically repulsed by a baby, and the mother is so blind to it. "Elaine, you gottaaa seee the baaabyyeeee!" I am with Seinfeld - they're gross.

It's not selfishness, it's self-awareness.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:33 pm 

^^ That's hilarious. Haha. Personally, I only like one baby, and that is my little 1 year old baby cousin. I think she is the cutest thing I have ever seen. She IS the gerber baby. Sorry, I love her. It's so weird, other babies I could care less about. Anyhoo, I don't think you are alone in this. :)

-Harvey Danger

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 pm 

I'm not much a fan of babies either. They shit, drool, puke, and cry relentlessly for no reason, and if they have a reason, you don't know what it is because they can't articulate. My sister once thought her oldest daughter(almost 3 y/o now) was getting preferential treatment over her few-month-old because I'd interact with my older niece more than the baby, but my words were, "Babies are boring. They just sit there and barely know what's going on around them. When they're older, I can "get" them a little more, so it's nothing against anybody..." Interestingly enough, after it was explained(and reminding her I wasn't even attached to my older niece in the beginning, either), she understood.

My "people skills" are "rusty." ~Castiel

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:09 am 

^^^ with you there. They're weird looking, misshapen blobs that emit vile liquids without warning. What's to like?

Once they get to about a year old and can do stuff, they're infinitely more interesting, but human babies are the world's most useless creations. Puppies and kittens, on the other hand ...

Report this post