It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:41 am 

Just curious... :D

For me, I guess kids become bearable / I like to interact with them at about 15.

Of course some teens are obnoxious and I don't like them, but I don't like them in the same way I don't like some (many) adults.

For me, at about 15 they are mini - adults and I do treat them as such (and I guess this is why teens generally like me).

How is it for you?

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.” (F. Zappa)

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:50 am 

It depends on the kid. I have one nephew who was pretty easy to tolerate at about 11, and another I struggled with until he was 19 or so.

-- Oscar Wilde

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 am 
I can tolerate them from about 2 1/2 up. Yes, I know. Shoot me. The three things I absolutely can't abide about infants are that (a) they can't talk, so if something's bothering them, I have to try to guess what it is, (b) they puke all the time and (c) diapers. So once a kid is out of diapers, talking and doesn't puke unless it's actually sick, I can tolerate it. Not too crazy about tweens, but then I like them again when they're teenagers unless they're real jerks.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:24 pm 

Depends actually. Younger kids that can talk - like 4-6 - are funny to me as long as I don't have to be around them when the screaming or snotgobbing starts. Late childhood kids and preteen kids are kind of boring/weird/gross/remind me of how awkward and terrible puberty is. Teenagers are OK as long as I can hold a conversation with them.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:34 pm 

About 21 I'd say :lol:

Seriously, probably in my limited experience and interaction, and lack of desire to do the same, but for me babies are noisy shit/vomit makers, young children just bore me, school age annoy me either by being too noisy or too demanding, teenagers to twenty in my experience are either a) massively self-obsessed b) try too hard to be clever and witty or c) are too shy to hold a reasonable conversation.

Once they turn about 21 then you can begin to have a decent conversation with them because they have some life skills. If they turn out to be shitty adults, you don't have to interact with them at all :D

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:11 pm 

About age 10. By then they've learned how to be respectful and some manners, their personalities and interests have begun to develop, they've begun to have life experiences, so they're easier to talk to and easier to relate to.

If the kids are well-mannered and respectful at earlier ages, then a year or two earlier than 10 will work. But generally, get me past them in their first decade and we're OK.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:49 pm 
Forums Admin

Generally around 9 or 10 but it depends on the kid.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 pm 

I cannot tolerate infants and do not care much for toddlers either. I like age 5 and up until they hit tween age. Ugh, I can't stand tweens, usually tween girls. IMO, tweens are worse than teens. Tween and teen girls are so petty, gossipy, giggly and talk about the stupidest things. I hated them even when I myself was a tween/teen.
In my brief tenure as an environmental educator, the boys usually were more enthusiastic about class than the girls and were always eager to participate. I'm a wildlife biologist, so I would constantly be handling reptiles, amphibians, insects, spiders or just sticking my hands in the mud. My male students always considered me the cool teacher.
The tween and teen girls were usually freaking out, being whiny or just being flat out bitches (I had a 10 year old girl wipe her hands on my shirt and thought it was hilarious and two other girls who were sisters said they were going to draw something inappropriate, give it to their dad and say that I drew it!)
I did have a few girls in my class who showed budding signs of a future biologist in the making and they were awesome!

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 am 

4th graders onward seem better still. Maybe 8-12 total is fine. And as always, it totally depends on the kid.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:53 am 
I generally don't like to be in the company of people who aren't able to comport themselves with minimal manners, have some consideration for others and avail themselves of some small degree of rational thought. And even if those minimum requirements are met, I may not like their personality and/or views. That leaves very few adults, let alone minors.

But, there's really no specific age I could give at which children become mostly tolerable to me. Most people, including children, never do.

I've come across the odd and rare 7-year-old who is able to hold a perfectly enjoyable conversation with some thoughts of their own (every once in a while at least), and 70-year-olds who have yet to learn basic manners and critical thinking.

On that basis, it's very unlikely that I am ever going to perceive anyone under the threshold age of ~6 as tolerable, but chances increase with increasing age (though not spectacularly).

Generally speaking, though, I prefer people who are at least mid-20s or older.

Report this post