It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:47 am 

I am going to point out a slightly different issue that these parties create. If parents become so focused on the gender of the child, it just makes it harder if they are a tomboy/tomgirl(not 100& sure that's what you call the equivalent with guys, but you get the idea.) Even if there is nothing sexually different about the kid later in there life, they could just not be into the typical stuff associated with their gender. Cfreedome can easily fit into this idea for females in particular. It is possible for some girls to just not be into dolls and some boys to not be into sports. (Maybe even both not liking the color associated with their gender.)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 am 

When I went into work one day there were cupcakes in the lunchroom and I love cupcakes so when I went to take one someone else there said "They're gender reveal cupcakes for Linda". I put it back and left the room. Its just "Look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me, look at me". It's stupid and I don't participate because I honestly don't care about your baby and I wish these people would realize that. Most people don't care about your kid and pretend to do so because it's expected in our society. I am not a sheeple and I make my own way. (if you bring in your puppy....I will lose my mind and gush forever)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:22 am 

This is from my area. These folks don't like gender reveal parties either, apparently! :)

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wlwt.com ... g/10310158

-- Oscar Wilde

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:06 am 

New here Ugh don't get me started on gender reveals or second baby showers.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 am 

When all my friends were in the 'starting a family mode', thank goodness I was only invited to baby showers back then because 'gender reveal' wasn't a thing yet. I went to one baby shower and it was my last. It was so painfully boring and all the ladies were acting like 3rd graders with all these silly games, like guess the length of rope that fits her belly ugh.
So I declined ALL baby showers after that one.. and thank goodness I was never even invited to a gender reveal wtf. Everyone's comments here made me laugh.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 pm 

Maura wrote:
I recall reading something online along the lines of "you think believing in astrology is crazy? Did you know that there are some people who believe that a baby's genitals predicts what their favourite colors should be, what sort of toys they will like, and even what kind of career they will have?"

They'll pull out some scientific research from where sun doesn't shine to back up those claims and you'll be forced to argue it. Been there, done that.

To be selfish means simply to be yourself.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 pm 

In case you missed the update on the story CO posted -- it turns out the woman holding the gender-reveal party at which someone was shot dead wasn't even pregnant. She first claimed she miscarried when she was shot in the leg, but later admitted the truth. I'm guessing she was trying to hide the fact that she was scamming her friends for gifts.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:44 pm 

Having been invited to a few (family) I can say that they are a great way of finding out which women absolutely must have a baby and which ones might be open to not having a child, so they are good in that regard.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm 

My big thing is that people are romanticizing pregnancy/parenthood. We can celebrate everything at the baby shower. You don't need a party to announce the gender of the baby. It's just another gift grab.

It kind of reminds me of weddings. People make it this whole big production. You have engagement parties (gifts), bachlorette parties (gifts), bridal showers (gifts), and the wedding (gifts). The purposed of getting engaged is to get married not spend 1.5 year celebrating and having various parties.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 pm 

Yet more attention-seeking on parent's part and more social roles brainwashing for the kid.

To be selfish means simply to be yourself.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next