It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting snipped
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:31 pm 

Who here has been gotten a vasectomy?

I have spent the longest time telling myself that I would when, and if, I found a potential life partner.

Now I'm re-assessing and thinking that I should just go ahead and get snipped now. My thoughts are

a. Avoid risk of getting some pregnant or being trapped
b. FREEDOM
c. Sends message that I am CF, a friend bought up that when dating she may tell herself, 'He'll change his mind.'

For doing it, how bad is the process? I know that it is an outpatient procedure and that it does have a few days of discomfort.

Post subject: Re: Getting snipped
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 pm 
Forums Admin

I got snipped in 2014 and have no regrets. The procedure itself took maybe 15-20 minutes. There was some pain when the local wore off but nothing that sitting on the sofa with frozen peas couldn't handle. I was sore for a few days and then everything was good.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 pm 

First of all, congratulations on the impending vasectomy. One less thing to worry about. Plus: FREEDOM!

Being female I can't speak firsthand, but I checked with my spouse & he said:

-schedule the surgery for a Friday so you have guaranteed downtime afterward.
-he himself had some pain for a couple days afterward, but had meds and ice and that helped a lot.
-the way they did his, they removed a section of the vas entirely (to reduce chances of regrowth), then secured the ends with permanent clamps. He said that the clamps felt kinda foreign and funny for a bit, sort of like when you get a crown and your body constantly notices the "thing" in your mouth until your brain gets used to it. He doesn't even notice the clamps now at all.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm 

Mine done when I was about 30. One small incision, snipped, ends cauterized, and a single dissolving stitch. Few days of soreness but back to work Monday. Doctor told me the #1 weekend for scheduling is the NCAA final 4, because you'll be hanging out on the couch.

I found it a little odd to provide a "sample" to test however many weeks after. Wasn't much in the mood for that.

Several friends have done it after having the number of children they planned for. Not heard of any issues from them.

I did my own shaving. ; ) But the doctor did have a very lovely assistant. I tend to humor myself through awkward situations by thinking of silly scenarios and nearly laughed out loud at one point. They would have thought I was insane.

My car doesn't blush when I take it to the mechanic, so I just give myself over when I go to the doc. Nothing they ain't seen before, and I'll never see them again.

Edited to add: bonus! Regarding child prevention only, put to end the issue of a latex allergy and non-latex condoms being crap (as far as I'm concerned). And women's health issues related to birth control pills and aging.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 pm 

Not a vasectomy (I'm not a dude :P) so can't comment on the medical procedure itself, but I would advise that if you're totally sure you don't want kids, and wouldn't have them if your future SO wanted them, then go ahead and get snipped now while you're still single. All the reasons you state are correct, and your point (c) is especially important. Being fixed will make it absolutely clear to any future partners that you're very serious about being CF. Otherwise, you get these people who tell you they're ok with being CF but they are secretly waiting for you to "change your mind" someday in the future.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 pm 

rye wrote:
Edited to add: bonus! Regarding child prevention only, put to end the issue of a latex allergy and non-latex condoms being crap (as far as I'm concerned). And women's health issues related to birth control pills and aging.

That's right. By getting a vasectomy, you really did a lot of childfree women a big favor, especially those of us who may not be able to use oral contraceptives due to heart problems. That's a huge burden taken off of them. So you did yourself AND other women a huge favor. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 am 

Had mine done when I was 22. Depending how old you are you may have some push back from the doctors and may have to go to a few before you'll find one who'll do it for you. You may have to decide if you lie your face off and tell the doc you have a dozen kids already, or just come across as very mature and mind made up. I told my doc I wouldn't freeze any semen and he felt better about doing it because obviously I'd be in the head space to get snipped.

The ultimate procedure now is the no-needle anesthetic no scalpel vasectomy, single puncture access. My doc cut out a longer than normal section, left testicular end open, and cauterized the abdominal end, then buried it into tissue to make both surgical reversal and spontaneous reconnection impossible. NO CLIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely unnecessary with fascial interposition and has been implicated in some pain issues. After about 10 years most docs won't even consider attempting a reversal because the success rate is so low.

Make sure you do NOTHING over the weekend no matter how good you feel or you WILL pay for it.

Your timing is good. Do it between relationships so that it's not an issue from this point forward. Am very glad I did it. No regrets.

Message me if there's anything else you want to know!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 pm 

I'm not a guy, but I got sterilized (which is a much more involved process) and was down for about a week.

My husband got snipped before I was together with him, so a bit over 20 years ago. He said it was no big deal. He had to shave up himself, and was told to bring a jock strap with him the day of the surgery. He watched the procedure - they numbed him up, made a small incision (maybe two), and then the tubes were cut, cauterized and folded back on themselves and either cauterized or stitched again. He said he was on the sofa for about three or four days, and read, slept or watched TV. Apparently it really only bothered him when he was walking, so it wasn't constant pain and discomfort. He said frozen peas were a necessity.

It sounds like it is no biggie, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If I was a man, I'd do it without a second thought.

"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."- Victor J. Stenger