It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:29 pm 

Just saw this stupid Kay Jewelers commercial. Never mind that they start the Christmas commercials way too early, but this one REALLY rubs me the wrong way. It's a woman up at 2am with her baby, and the husband comes in to light the tree and give her a cheesy Kay piece of jewelery. Then the husband says "it's our first Christmas as a FAMILY" all dreamy-eyed. THIS DRIVES ME NUTS. My first Christmas as a family was the year I married my husband. That's what those little "Our First Christmas" ornaments we have on our tree mean to me.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:45 pm 

Ugh, yes! I had that same reaction when I saw that commercial. Barf.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

Hate that commercial.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm 
Forums Admin

Yeah I remember seeing that one last year. While all my personal drama on that issue was going on, it actually made me angry to see it. Now it just makes me sick. :sick:

There's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:57 pm 

I agree with your sentiment entirely. It's terrible when two people who are married don't love each other enough to consider themselves a family. And it's wonderful that you and your husband are smart enough and in love enough to take that first Christmas as a family for what it really was. The commercial might be enough to rub anyone the wrong way, but this really brightened my mood:

quinoa wrote:
My first Christmas as a family was the year I married my husband. That's what those little "Our First Christmas" ornaments we have on our tree mean to me.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:25 pm 

They ran that same ad last year. *barf*

AFAIC, my husband and I became a family the day we got married. When nosy people ask me when he and I are going to "start a family" my reply is "We started a family __ years ago." Our first Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas, Labor Day, Columbus Day, etc. as a family was that year.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 am 
TCFL Sponsor

The only thing I hate more than Christmas commercials are jewelry commercials. And the Kay ones are the most vomitrocious of them all.

Family is what you want it to be. A married couple. A single person with pets. A bunch of unrelated people who choose to live together. Etcetera, etcetera. We are a family of seven, me, Mike, and our five kittehs.

These stupid commercials make me want to gack.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:03 am 

These stupid Kay commercials are the cheesiest ones. I've always hated the term "start a family". My DH always tells me I am his family, even though he has always wanted kids, so it means a lot to me.

But yeah, this commercial makes me so angry LOL.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 am 

Unfortunately, you see lots of Christmas commercials depicting the "perfect" holiday with kids - always kids. They're about getting your spoiled kid the expensive gift they've been howling about for months - and implying if you don't get it, you are a "bad" parent. Or the ones that show the parents and the kids in their jammies opening gifts. I swear, you never see just a couple, or a blended sort of family, e.g., a gay couple or gay parents, or old people, or just a group of friends who are their own family.

I feel like my husband and I have a family with our pets. We also have extended family of blood relatives and friends. As we've all pointed out, family is what you want it to be, the people who matter most to you, who respect you, honor you, support you. Very often that's NOT the family you were born into. I think it's about time advertisers wised up. They are pissing off a huge demographic.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
― Mark Twain

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 am 

Christine wrote:
We are a family of seven, me, Mike, and our five kittehs.

Suddenly I don't feel like such a crazy cat person. (We've also got 5.)