It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:48 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm new :)

I am looking into getting my tubes tied, however I research everything and want to hear others experiences. Whenever I look for YouTube videos or stories online I come across a lot of PTLS stuff. Yet, I can't find really any medical studies supporting that it exist. I posted on another board and only two people complained of having this PTLS.

Who here has had a tubal ligation? If so how old were you? What was the outcome? If you had side affects, did you come off birth control or have another condition? What method was the tubal ligation? Did anyone have an endometrial ablation with the tubal? My doctor shut down the ablation right away, but not the tubal.

*background on myself*
I am 23, turning 24 and I have always been against having kids. I am not a motherly person and I am happy with just having dogs. I have other female issues, that will keep me on birth control until I go through menopause so even with getting my tubes tied I will still need hormones. My doctor who I really like has agreed to the tubal at 26, however with the chances I might not have insurance next year, and the fact that women health could be affected by the republican congress and president I would like to have my tubal taken care of now. I'm on my dad insurance until next January and I want to have this done with a doctor and hospital I like. I originally was on board to wait until I was 26, but with my insurance coverage for next year being questionable I want to move on it. I have rearech articles on the regret factor, my friends and my PCP wrote letred of support so I hope my doctor agrees with me.

I look forward to reading everyone responses and thanks in advanced for answering my post!

Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 am 

I had a tubal ligation just after my 30th birthday a couple of years ago. I've had a few side effects, but not from the actual tubal ligation such. I had awful pain in my right shoulder after surgery that lasted a few days. That was because of the gas they pump into you to blow up your belly so they can see better. It was pretty bad pain, but my GP gave me some pretty good pain killers so it didn't bother me so much after that. The only other side effect I've had is bad period pain and ovarian cysts, but that's because the hormonal birth control I was on beforehand had been keeping that in check.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:24 pm 

I had a tubal when I was 21. I'm going on my 6 year anniversary this year, and I've never encountered any problems with it. The one major effect it's had was actually reducing the pain and discomfort I get from endometriosis.

I haven't had an ablation, I asked, but apparently the chance of the endometrium growing back wasn't worth the cost of the procedure according to my doctor.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm 

I haven't seen studies supporting PTLS either; seems to be mostly patients who come off hormonal BC when they have their TL and it's the effects from that, not from the TL.

I was 23 when I had mine too (I'm 26 now), I had a TL by bipolar coagulation. It was great, I had a very easy time of recovery etc and no side effects. I have no lingering effects at all except two tiny scars and the obvious sterility. I wasn't on any BC before. I didn't have an endometrial ablation but I intend to have one this year.

I would really recommend sterilization in general to anyone who is absolutely sure they want it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:19 pm 

Hello,

I had a tubal ligation (bipolar tubal cautery) 6 years ago and I have had some problems afterwards. To this day, I still have all these problems (I can't lose any weight which I gained after my tubal etc.). You can read my story here (the story was written 3 years ago, but, as I wrote above, I still have all these health issues, and you will find the answers to your questions there):

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26428

Edit: I also posted on another childfree board and nobody there suffered from PTLS/side effects after tubal.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26428&view=unread#unread

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm 

I had tubal ligation a few days ago... I want to be honest- I suffered nausea (pretty bad) after anesthesia and the pain in the shoulders and neck from the laparoscopy (gas) is unpleasant for a few days.

The day after surgery I already went for a walk with my dogs and after 3 days I was as good as new ;)

Don't know about the side effects - we'll see. According to my doctor they shouldn't be any... some women have their menopause a few years earlier.

@Rosalinda: that's very strange, because tubal ligation shouldn't have any effects on your hormones at all- so why should it have any effect on your weight? :shock: