It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Planned Parenthood FTW!
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:57 pm 

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. :)

Today, for the first time in my life, I visited a Planned Parenthood clinic.

I've just moved to a new city. My birth control pill prescription is about to run out, and my gynecologist in the city where I moved from would not authorize a refill unless I came in for an annual exam -- which would be rather difficult given that I've moved 1000+ miles away. I have thus far been unsuccessful in my search for a local gynecologist. I've had Essure, so I'm not worried about getting pregnant, but I have the cycle from hell -- unpredictable and very painful periods with heavy bleeding -- so the pill is a must. So, in desperation, I turned to Planned Parenthood.

I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very professional and pleasant, and, after asking a lot of questions (I am a new patient, after all), they sent the prescription right over to my pharmacy. There were a couple of interesting moments, such as the nurse asking me if I planned to get pregnant any time in the next year AFTER I told her I'd had Essure, and the cashier being very soft-spoken and hard to understand, but otherwise everything went smoothly. I was told that they'd renew my prescription annually even if I never had another annual exam. Better yet, I didn't even have to pay a dime -- thank you, President Obama!

There were a few protesters outside the clinic, but there is an on-site parking lot for patients, so the protesters couldn't go and key my car or slash my tires or anything. (I was a little worried.) My parents, I'm sure, are spinning in their graves -- they were staunchly pro-life.

Planned Parenthood can NOT be defunded. :x Abortion is just one of the many services they provide. People go to clinics all the time for STD screening, emergency contraception, well-woman care, oh-shit-I'm-about-to-run-out-of-pills prescription renewals ...

They will be getting a nice donation from me this year. And my parents can continue to spin in their graves.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am 

^
Huh? In what way was her post "too radical"? I see nothing radical whatsoever in what she wrote, just a summary of her medical appointment and much-needed prescription for pills. Are you reading a different post than I am?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 am 

I think that poster is a bot with a generic post appropriate on any thread anywhere -- at any rate, I'm not willing to click on the link on the bottom

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:47 pm 

Did I miss something??!?!

Why and how am I, an actual human being, being classified as a bot??

In what way was my post "too radical" ?

And I did not include a "link on the bottom".

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:41 am 

There was probably a spam post after your opening post, Portia Lin. It must have got deleted in the meantime.

"Change is coming to the world. Many fear change and will fight it with every fiber of their being. But sometimes, change is what they need the most. Sometimes, change is what sets them free." - Morrigan, Dragon Age

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm 

Nice that you got exactly what you needed and had a good experience, Portia Lin. I've gone through Planned Parenthood for services in the past...and it was precisely because they were so professional and pleasant and zero-bullshit. Similar situation...was nearly out of pills, they were able to help out right away. We also wound up going with them for my husband's vasectomy, because they were straightforward and just about the same cost. When I complimented the front-desk gal on the professionalism and zero-BS factor, she smiled and commented that it's partly because there's no conflict of interest like you'd get. PP is in the business of promoting sexual health and preventing pregnancies, the end. So I got less hassle and more direct conversations with them.

I always send them money every year.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm 

^ Arte, after rereading the posts, I figure that that's exactly what happened. Thank you to you and your fellow mods for keeping the spam away.

This clinic unfortunately doesn't do any surgical procedures -- no abortions, no vasectomies, not even mammograms - but they will refer patients who need those services. Of course, the fact that they don't actually perform abortions there didn't keep the protesters away -- there are too many misinformed people out there who think abortions are all PP does. :roll: