It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm 

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading some posts in regards to sterilization and at my age, I cannot think of any OB/GYN that would deny me. I am 39 and have been on many different kinds of BC since I was about 17..thats over 22 years! I also have PCOS and have had it for years. I have been on Lutera for years which is the lowest hormonal BC on the market, but, I am still not satisfied.

Recent studies show that long-term birth control use cause more problems than one thinks. We all know about stroke, blood clots, and heart disease. They have now found that it could cause liver dysfuntion/cancer and complications with the small intestines.

My question is, If I go see an OB/GYN in regards to sterilization, do they choose the method or do they explain what is currently available and I choose whats best? The reason is because I have heard that women can become allergic to the nickel that is used over a long period of time (not necessarily at the time of insertion) in the Essure procedure. I have also heard that the tubal ligation has a greater chance of failure than any of the other procedures (it is approximately 99% effective in the first year following the procedure. In the following years the effectiveness may be reduced since the fallopian tubes can, in some cases, reform or reconnect which can cause unwanted pregnancy).

Any/All thoughts is appreciated :)

Last edited by cass on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edited capslock - no need to shout

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:49 pm 

Hi StormChaser!

I would think that you most definitely have a choice! My Dr. really wanted to do the Essure procedure (she really likes it for whatever reason) but agreed with me that since I KNOW I already have a nickel allergy it was not an option for me. And even if I didn't have an allergy I'm sure she would have done the TL instead of Essure had I insisted.

I don't know about developing a nickel allergy after getting Essure but I do know that at a younger age I was able to wear all sorts of cheap jewelry . . . and now I can't . . . so it is definitely possible to develop an allergy after being "unallergic" for some time. So I don't see why that couldn't happen with Essure.

As for Adiana, I just basically told my Dr. that I wasn't going to consider it b/c it was so new and I just wasn't comfortable with that; and she didn't push it. I don't even know if she offers it.

And you are correct about the failure possibility of the TL; and I was concerned about that too - so I just made sure to really discuss that w/ my Dr. I told her, and I think this is very important, that I was NOT concerned with her preserving enough tissue for a possible future reversal. She agreed to do a very aggressive cauterization. I feel comfortable with her explanation of what she did.

Anyway, I think the bottom line is, the more informed you are when you speak to your Dr., the more likely he or she will be to consider what YOU want rather than what THEY prefer. IMO.

Good luck to you!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:07 pm 

I also forgot to mention in my original post the SALPINGECTOMY. I understand this has about a 0.08% failure rate whereas TL is about 5%, Essure is 2% and electrocoagulation is 2.5%.

I'm old enough know to know that there is no turning back and DO NOT WANT KIDS! Reversal of any kind of sterilization is not a concern. The continued use of BC has got to end. I am not getting any younger and with age comes disease and problems. The last thing I want to hear from my Doc is that long-term use of BC was one of the contributing factors to any health problems.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:08 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

Hi stormchaser,

You should definitely be the one with the last word about the sterilisation method that suits you best. The OB/GYN is there to offer you the options and explain the differences, pros and cons of each of them.

About nickel allergies, Essure is not recommended if you have a severe nickel allergy. However, allergic reactions to metals develop mainly by skin contact. There have been some studies in which people who have metal implants (most of which have traces of nickel, like Essure, but most of which are way larger than Essure) noticed their skin allergy getting milder or disappearing after the procedure; apparently having some nickel inside your body helps your own immune system get used to it, and the skin becomes less sensitive. Many ob/gyns go ahead with Essure even if the person has mild reactions to nickel, and apart from some people posting in dubious places in the internet, there are no reported cases of allergies to nickel developed after Essure implantation.

I also was worried about this, as my Ob/gyn had not asked me anything about nickel when she gave me my Essure appointment, so I asked her directly and did some research of my own. What I have found has actually reassured me, and I am not even going to get tested for nickel allergy myself, as I have never had reactions against jewelry/jeans zippers or anything containing nickel.

Reading hysterical posts of women blaming Essure, Adiana, Mirena and any other thing they have used recently for lots of their health scares is nerve-wrecking. I have stopped doing it, because if you do this every time, you would be scared of taking a paracetamol...

I will be reporting on my Essure and any side effects as soon as I get it done. As far as I know, no one here has had any bad experiences with it yet (please correct me if I am wrong).

Last edited by Aurynne on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:09 pm 

You definitely have a choice. It is your body and the surgery is elective, so the method is definitely up to you.

One form of sterilisation that may be gaining support is a bilateral salpingectomy - complete removal of both fallopian tubes. Many doctors may not feel comfortable doing that, but it is an option. Tubes can't regrow if they aren't there to begin with! :)

You will find that all forms of sterilisation are roughly 98% or 99%. Nothing is 100%, including essure/adiana. Many women continue using a back-up method if they do not feel confident with the odds. All I can say, is just continue to research, research, research until you feel comfortable that you are fully informed. Sorry that I do not have any other advice. =/

Re: your last post - the rates I have read about are nowhere near 5% failure rate. Where did you read that?

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

Yep, your pregnancy rates are not right. TL is 0.5% (ten times smaller than the one you gave), and Essure is 0.2%.

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ol_methods

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm 

StormChaser wrote:
Recent studies show that long-term birth control use cause more problems than one thinks. We all know about stroke, blood clots, and heart disease. They have now found that it could cause liver dysfuntion/cancer and complications with the small intestines.

Links plz.

StormChaser wrote:
My question is, If I go see an OB/GYN in regards to sterilization, do they choose the method or do they explain what is currently available and I choose whats best? The reason is because I have heard that women can become allergic to the nickel that is used over a long period of time (not necessarily at the time of insertion) in the Essure procedure. I have also heard that the tubal ligation has a greater chance of failure than any of the other procedures (it is approximately 99% effective in the first year following the procedure. In the following years the effectiveness may be reduced since the fallopian tubes can, in some cases, reform or reconnect which can cause unwanted pregnancy).

Yes, you can become allergic to nickel from prolonged exposure. It's what happened to me, and it's why I had a TL instead.

A good surgeon will discuss sterilisation options with you. If you don't want your tubes to regenerate, then have a Pomeroy (cut and tied) procedure, or ask for Filshie clips.

Also, I refuse to shit myself over failure estimates. No birth control method is perfect. If I were pregnant, I know where I can get a surgical or medical abortion.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 pm 

cass wrote:
A good surgeon will discuss sterilisation options with you. If you don't want your tubes to regenerate, then have a Pomeroy (cut and tied) procedure, or ask for Filshie clips.

Quick note - Pomeroy cannot be done laparoscopically, so it will require a (brief) hospital stay because the incision will be as large as the incision needed for a caesarian section. I didn't know until I asked my surgeon about it. However, pomeroy is very effective.

In addition to filshie clips, there is also a small ring clamp that can be placed on the tubes as well. Both are minimally invasive laparoscopic procedures with relatively quick recovery time. :) No hospital stay. If you youtube 'tubal ligation' you can probably find filshie clips and ring clamps to see how it is done, if you are curious.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 pm 

Ariel wrote:
Quick note - Pomeroy cannot be done laparoscopically, so it will require a (brief) hospital stay because the incision will be as large as the incision needed for a caesarian section. I didn't know until I asked my surgeon about it. However, pomeroy is very effective.

Thanks! I didn't know that.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am 

Sorry guys! Here are the links to some of the information I have received.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/24013 ... trol-pill/

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health ... n-4248.htm

The correct statement in regards to the effectiveness of the "TL" is:

5 pregnancies per 1,000 in first year of use. Over 10 years of use: About 18 to 19 per 1,000 women.