It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:54 am 
TCFL Sponsor

I'm having second thoughts on my Mirena. I love not having periods, but all the extra weight I strongly believe it's caused me to gain are starting to not be worth it. However I'm scared about removal because my strings are now inside my uterus, at my annual they did an ultrasound to verify it's in the correct place (it was thank goodness!) because they can't see the strings.

However how do they get it out without the stings? The pain of insertion (no anesthesia :sick: ) was nearly unbearable, if they have to go digging around I think I'll seriously freak out.

Is there anyone out there that had their mirena removed when the strings were no longer visible?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:06 am 
Founding Member

Hi there...
I believe that what they will do is go in and kind of gently grab the end of the IUD with a surgical clamp-like device and pull it out as they would if the strings were still inside the vagina. It should be quicker than the insertion as during insertion, it has to be properly placed.
Hope this info helps!

This is kind of why I am sequeemish about ever getting an IUD. The idea of something being inside me and then having to kind of dig around in "there" is just not appealing to me in anyway. Plus, I already struggle with m weight...I don't need any help at ALL in gaining any more. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 am 

I hope the removal goes well!

Saw a response to a question about IUD insertion pain & I think the same things should work for removal if you want pain med options for the removal. Link:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q ... index.html

From article:
Quote:
I recommend using a cervical block, meaning injecting anesthetics (numbing medication) in the cervix. That should take away any pain from stretching the cervix to insert the IUD. If the cervix is very tight (the doctor will know from the first insertion attempt) sometimes placing a medication called misoprostol in the vagina a few hours before the procedure can soften the cervix and make it easier to insert the IUD.

Finally, it can help to take ibuprofen at least 30 minutes before the procedure. This will reduce pain as well as any cramping that might occur afterwards. Since you had a lot of pain you might want to talk with your doctor about taking prescription-strength ibuprofen before the procedure.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

I've had something similar happen to me with the last copper IUD. Only the string had come off completely. The doctor had to dilate the cervix a bit to grab it, pretty much as described above by jhmd. The dilation hurt a bit (no anaesthetic or painkillers), but was done very carefully and took only a minute or two, with a couple of pauses. It wasn't too bad for me. Once the dilating was done, it was all over. I didn't even notice the extraction itself.

If the insertion was already bad though, perhaps you could ask your doctor to prescribe you painkillers that you can take in advance, something stronger as it's a one-time procedure?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:35 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

Thanks ladies, I feel a little better. The doctor that inserted my IUD has since retired, so I'm going to really press my new doctor for anesthesia this time!

I have an appointment next Wednesday to discuss how to remove it. I'm hoping to get it done before the new year so I don't have to start all over with my deductible (lame American health insurance :sick: ).

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:13 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

Hiya, I'm not sure about the strings issue but I had mine removed a couple of months ago and it was fine.

A second of discomfort and he asked me to cough and it was out. Good luck and I hope your removal is as easy as mine was.

Re weight, I lost my mirena weight (which was only about 5 lbs but then I didn't keep it for long!) pretty much straight away. I am struggling to lose more than this but then I always do in winter! I am convinced, in some poeple it either a) contributes to weight gain or b) makes it hard to lose weight in those that are perhaps sensitive to even a tiny bit of artificial hormone.

I feel much better now I am off it, much less cranky too and defo less bloated. Shame becuase i really wanted it to suit me! In theory its a great solution but clearly not for everyone...

Leave a legacy of deeds, not seeds

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:11 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

I'm IUD free!!! My doctor said that if she couldn't get it out easily she may have to put me under to get it. Needless to say I was pretty terrified. However as luck would have it, she saw the very end of my stings, gave a couple a tugs and it was out! It hurt a smidgen but NOTHING like it did for insertion. I'm so relieved now. I'm really hoping I can get a handle on my weight with it out.

I'm back on pills, but I never had any issues with those (just have to deal with a period each month, ugh) so I can deal at least until DH gets the snip.

Aside from the weight gain I was quite happy with the Mirena and I really wish it has worked for me. I would still probably recommend it to others because I think I'm in the minority with the weight stuff.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:16 pm 

Glad your doctor didn't have to resort to anaesthetic. :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:36 pm 
TCFL Sponsor

So glad removal went smoothly :)

Leave a legacy of deeds, not seeds

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 pm 

Glad your removal went so smoothly! :) And that you would still recommend the Mirena even though it didn't work out as you'd hoped.